Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket fuel pump and FPR for EA82T?

So since there's a few people here running aftermarket fuel pump and FPR, just wondering what kind of performance this has given and what kind of tuneability it has given as well? I know Tex has custom equal length fuel rails and other pieces but nothin has come up on what kind of brand will fit and what has been done. Also, wanting to know the tuneability to see what you can do to give more of an advantage over stock parts.

kevin has a summit pump and aftermarket FPR, he has some good dyno plots with varying the fuel pressure though it's on an NA XT6, not a turbo. might be interesting to look at his results with fuel pressure though if you can find his dyno plots.

i purchased the same freaking fuel pump and it would not work in my XT6 for some reason. reinstalled the stock pump and all is well. kind of annoying, i want something less than 20 years old in there!!!

kevin has a summit pump and aftermarket FPR, he has some good dyno plots with varying the fuel pressure though it's on an NA XT6, not a turbo. might be interesting to look at his results with fuel pressure though if you can find his dyno plots.

i purchased the same freaking fuel pump and it would not work in my XT6 for some reason. reinstalled the stock pump and all is well. kind of annoying, i want something less than 20 years old in there!!!

I still don't understand the fuel pump problem Gary. It is easy for me to say since I did not install it. I don't have problem bringing my car down your way so maybe we both can compare the pumps and see the like/differences and determine why it works on mine and not on yours. I'm sure it probably something simple that is overlooked.

As for fuel pressure regulators, I have one from Ebay I had installed on the RX turbo. Here is my dyno result from playing with the Ebay RRFPR (Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31047&highlight=ebay+fpr

WOW. Thanks for the info Kevin! A friend of mine back in Oregon was telling me about what kind of tuning I should do on the RX since he's gone through the whole "Blow up one engine with XXpsi and throw another one in and see if we can't get it right" He built a stock VW 1.7 liter engine with a Saab turbo and an intercooler and yes, he's gone through a few engines. He was explaining to me what I should do as far as tuning issues and what kind of numbers to be watching for as far as the wideband and stuff like that. As far as numbers, where would a good looking AFR be for our engines with 10psi coming from the turbo? Then, what would be considered running lean? rich? I'm going to be getting a AEM LM-1 here before too long because once the RX is running, I'm going to tune it no matter what. I don't want to grenade an engine or something stupid like that, wanna do it right.

So with that said, I'm now thinking of going with a RRFPR and some larger injectors like from a Nissan since GravityMan has done a bunch of research on them. With those items, plus a better fuel pump, think I would have very many problems with pushing my injectors to the limits and running lean at 12psi or more? Next, what fuel pressure do you recommend running as well?

We actually need a DRFPR.

Especially when the AFR's are as rich as they are...11.5:1 is max power/reliability on turbo subies. I've been logging 8:1 to 9:1 under boost before the boost creeps past 7psi. Anything leaner is danger under boost. Anything richer is wasting power and fuel.

On the same day, same dyno, within 5 minutes of each other, there was ZERO change in power output and AFR stayed the same.

Keep in mind this is with STOCK injectors.

With stock injectors, there is absolutely NO reason to change the fuel system, either regulator, pump, rails, etc. Its all perfectly fine from the factory.

However...when you step up to...say...1000cc injectors...THEN you might need to worry about a RRFPR, rails, pump...etc....

Our systems are super similar to the WRX and STi. Those systems are pefectly fine, STOCK, up to 860cc injectors and more than 30psi boost/535 awhp.

The only reason I'll be dumping the rails and going with my little POS setup is to simply clean up the engine bay, and allow more flexibility to build a new intake manifold, or install the spyder w/out having to use all the complexness of the spyder systems. Otherwise, my current setup is all stock.