Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just dropped my wagon off (2.5l) at the dealer for the recall paint on the rear crossmember, and asked about a loud ticking on startup that slowly goes away. It sounds worse when cold, and as loud as a diesel. Reading older threads, it seemed like it was probably piston slap, and I just hate leaving my car in someone else's hands. With the recall, I had an reason to go. I had also noticed a slight oil smell when sitting with windows closed at a light or sign, especially after a run down the highway.

The service manager said it sounded like the timing belt idler was loose and they sometimes have a slight oil leak. Anybody else heard or experienced this? I was starting to worry about a head gasket with all the take about the earlier models, but the service manager answered pretty quick without any apparent surprise. BTW, 55K miles, Mobil 1 since 8000 miles, changed every 4-5K miles with fresh filter (Carquest/Wix filter), no other problems since new.

Thanks in advance

There IS a TSB on the belt tensioner of 00-02 2.5L. If it's in the 3/36 warrenty, it's free. Outside of that, it isn't, but you might get then to cover it under the 5/60. FYI, Mine was replaced, noise still there. Now they confirmed it as 'harmless' cold piston slap. 02 Forester L 5sp.

The dealer said it is the timing belt tensioner, and it will be under warranty:banana:. I am getting them to install a new belt while they are at it, $70 for another 50K+ miles, works for me:drunk:

An extra day at the dealer, but I should get a quiet car back, and odor free.

I have a 02 obw with 31k miles on it . I have had piston slap since 7k miles as per the dealer and Subaru DSR. they said that they will not do any engine work unless the noise is there all the time . My noise goes away after about 3-5 mins of driving depending on outside temp. I am taking the car into the dealer on Monday for some 30 k service work done ,also having the rear suspension recall done . I have been having the timing belt tensioner noise in the morning ,much more louder then my slap noise . The car was knocking so bad the other morning I thought the engine was going rip itself apart . I gave it a little gas and the noise went away . I hope that I don't have a problem with the dealer getting the tensioner replaced . I did after alot of complaining about the slap noise get the Subaru DSR to give me for free a 7year 100k subaru gold warrenty . So atleast I am covered untill that time on any engine damage related to the piston slap . I am going to send my oil out for testing at my next o/f change . I will keep all posted on how it tests.

Mike k

Mike: I hope you can get yours fixed as warranty. On mine, they 'adjusted' the timing belt tensioner (according to the paperwork) and the noise is gone, so that is a good thing. Over $300 worth of labor under warranty, just to adjust it:cornfuzz: . I did have them put in a new timing belt while she was opened up, only $67:drunk: , so I guess I can hang out until 150K miles to put another one in. As to the oil smell, the tech did not see any leaks but noticed dirt and mud on my exhaust and thought that may be causing the smell. Now I just need to look at where I've been driving, I'll be a REAL LIFE Jedd Clampett, striking oil on dirt roads:burnout:

Speed Safely! David