Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-71 3 door coupe?

Interesting - wonder why Subaru saw fit to put an EA71 in the beast. Maybe an engine size limitation on imports in certain countries? Had some surplus stock?? I see its equipped with power steer - doesnt look like a poverty model

Yes I know most of this shape in NZ are EA82s - just curious though.

Am I right in saying most of this model they have in NZ are imported direct from Japan? Lucky sods if that is the case :-p

I think it's not engine size limitations, but just making more (cheaper) different models available.. In my country they were offering all leone/loyale fwd models with ea71. I had a silver coupe, and although it was GL it had no power steering while sedan and estate had.. supposed to be more "sporty" :D. There were also models with ea63 (or was it 62?) 1.3 litre engine, but I think it was not sold for long. http://www.subaruclubfinland.net/kuvat/uksteleone5.jpg Both small engine models were quite cheep compared to other manufacturers.

The non-power-steering was a bit slow (to make it light to turn), but it had more feel what was happening between the road and the wheels. Also the small engine models weren't packed full of equipment, no power mirrors, fixed steering wheel etc, but didn't consume much gas; I had it going for ~7 litres/100km (~33,6 miles/gallon) and I assume the 1.3 would run for even less :)

I like how the factory mounting space for the stereo is bulged outward so a standard-depth deck can be fitted. Why the heck didn't they make them like that here?

I didn't notice that before - and yeah it DOES look factory. I havent seen one like that over in Australia either.

Given that the other models that are "Omega" seem to be 1600 - its still plausible. Maybe one of the NZ'ers could confirm if its possibly a 1600. Its also equally possible someone HAS royally stuffed up and said 1600 instead of 1800.

Would the EA82 gearboxes mate up to an EA71 easily? :confused:

Interesting on the Subarus in Finland - having a look at the rest of that site - you have an interesting cross section of options and models from that era. Subiemech would drool over all your cars there - they all seem to have headlight squirters. (Guess its a necessity!) Do the 85-94 models in Finland have headlight electronic level adjustment? I know some of the German ones do.

Would the EA82 gearboxes mate up to an EA71 easily? :confused:

Interesting on the Subarus in Finland - having a look at the rest of that site - you have an interesting cross section of options and models from that era. Subiemech would drool over all your cars there - they all seem to have headlight squirters. (Guess its a necessity!) Do the 85-94 models in Finland have headlight electronic level adjustment? I know some of the German ones do.

Mmm they don't have level adjustment, but you're right about headlight squirters, all models had them and i think it really was a necessity by the law :-\

The gearbox of the fwd model could fit an ea81, but I'm not sure, I haven't exactly nibbled very much with my car (didn't have to because it almost always worked without repairs :D ) It's all different from ea82 gearbox anyhow, I remember that the gear selecting lever got into the box through there, where normally the rear drive shaft would come out of.

Sis%e4lt%e42.jpg

Here's how mine used to look from inside, the bulged out radio mounting hole is factory, if I understood right what you guys were wondering about? :)

Talk nice to our Finnish friend and maybe he can send some over :D Unfortuantely it won't work in my case - I have a Stereo and a CB in that position.

Incidentally, what's that orange/black switch to the left hand side of the steering column? For the washers? And I LIKE that grab handle for the passenger - would love to get a RHD version of that

GRAB HANDLES: xt, xt6, omega, rx, 3dr all use the same handles

they also should have the nuts welded in , equipped for installation of optional features

all you have to do is pull down the plastic trim, turn it over, and there should be the marks for where to drill new holes

done it to my rx, grabbed the handle from the xt6

That orange switch to the left is for the driver seat heater.

I actually could search for some radio mounting thingys and grab handles, but it will take time (i'm studying at the moment :)) I think most of the part sellers would like to sell the interior parts as a whole, that probably will restrain possibilities to get those parts..

Wow. Subaru never offered heated seats in the USA until the late 90's, I don't think. Would be nice to have here in the mountains.

The grab handle on the pillar was a 3-door only thing. The car in the pictures at the beginning of this thread has one on the passenger side in the right hand drive layout, you can see it through the windshield.

You want some stranger combinations, just look around in some (so called) third world countries. Ask the guy who sometimes comes on this board who lives in Israel. I've heard of, but never really seen one, an Impreza with an EJ15 in it. Some countries have a tax system that taxes cars based upon the cubic displacement of thier engines, I believe Italy is one of them, and they have combinations that are seen nowhere else.

A friend of mine has a mid 90's impreza with an ej15 in it, nice wee engine actually, and very good on the gas.