Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 EJ22 Auto tranny compatible with 91 EJ22 Motor?

Just like the title says... sorry to start a new thread about this, but I think the other thread wasn't getting very much attention and I need a quick answer on this one. Starkapopolis' tranny "Gave up" (basically is dumping a LOT of tranny fluid from what appeared to be the torque converter area when the car was running.) As far as we could tell it is something internal of the tranny causing the leak. At this point the most cost effective fix would be for me to go pull another Auto from the Junkyard.. but the "preferred" yard only has a 96 with an EJ22 and Auto tranny. The car it is going into is a '91 Legacy LS with an EJ22... It seems to me like the swap should be plug and play... I was just wondering if there is any differences that should cause me NOT to go this route? Thank You!!!

check ebay they usually list the trans applications on those trans, i think it's normally 90-96 on a legacy, but best to check. i'd verify diff ratio too before proceeding. look at yours then look at the one in the yard to make sure same ratio. or count revolutions. spin 10 times and count.

What would be involved in fixing that? I've never tore into a tranny yet.. especially an auto.. and the shops around here are quoting us retarded prices to even open it up... what about availability of the seals and stuff I would need?

Edit: I dont know if it changes your opinion about that seal that it happened abruptly and is DUMPING tranny fluid when the car is running.. but if its not a hard thing to take apart and replace.. maybe that would be the best route?

leave it to john to make a good call.

the torque converter shaft seal is right on the outside (think of it as the crankshaft seal of the trans). with engine or trans removed, it's sitting right there. remove and replace. that's the only way for ATF to come out of the front of trans unless somethign REALLY crazy is going on.

was the engine/trans ever removed? if so i bet the old seal just didn't sit right on reinstallation.

I think the whole car was kind of rebuilt.. jy writing on drive shafts etc... but it ran for a long time then just one day BLAMO is leaking tranny fluid like an ounce a second or something insanely fast... as far as I could tell it was leaking out of the torque converter area... I have the trans out right now but I don't know what I would be looking for?? Anyway.. I can get the trans out of the 96 for $100..

Man....for that price....just get the tranny. I still believe the 96 had the phase 1 4EAT trans. Check the connectors on the 96 transmission. Just make sure they match the ones on the 91. There are some additional inputs/outputs on the later model phase 1 4EAT transmissions, but I think you could probably still use your 91 TCU.

As for trying to fix yours. Pull the torque converter out. You should see the input shaft seal right there.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so.. I got the seals and did it up.. put it all back together and nothing is leaking. But it's still broken. I have a few guesses but I want to get everyones thoughts on it. It doesnt really like to be in second gear (acts like clutch slip and has no pull).. and absolutely wont be in 4th gear. First gear works pretty decently.. as does third... but they both do have some slip as well. The tranny fluid seems to be full and clean. Is something internal borked? Could putting the tranny cooler lines on mixed up cause a problem like this? Thoughts? Advice? Thanks guys.