Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brighter reverse lights?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 axgutt

axgutt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:18 PM

I just did a bling-bling window tint job on my wagon - 5% on the back windows, and now I can't see anything though the back window at night unless it has a freakin' spotlight on it. (I must say, however, that this is particularly useful for tailgaiting SUVs.) Is there a way to radically brighten up the reverse lights, or will I just end up blowing a fuse?

For those of you thinking about tinting your windows yourself, my advice is this - don't offer yourself a warranty. Otherwise you'll just end up doing it all over again. If I didn't already have some peeling paint (and almost 250,000 miles) I'd be pretty self conscious about the little bubbles, jagged edges, seams across the back . . . The thing is, all considered I think I did a pretty decent job.

Adam

#2 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

I don't know how much power the reverse circuit can take. I think I've seen 50 watt backup bulbs though. Check JcWhitney.

If it can't handle it, you could always put in a relay driven by the current backup circuit, and wire it directly to the battery with a new 20 amp fuse.

Z

I just did a bling-bling window tint job on my wagon - 5% on the back windows, and now I can't see anything though the back window at night unless it has a freakin' spotlight on it. (I must say, however, that this is particularly useful for tailgaiting SUVs.) Is there a way to radically brighten up the reverse lights, or will I just end up blowing a fuse?

For those of you thinking about tinting your windows yourself, my advice is this - don't offer yourself a warranty. Otherwise you'll just end up doing it all over again. If I didn't already have some peeling paint (and almost 250,000 miles) I'd be pretty self conscious about the little bubbles, jagged edges, seams across the back . . . The thing is, all considered I think I did a pretty decent job.

Adam

#3 e4620

e4620

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Rockaway

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Haha, well you could get an emergency light permit and add strobes:drunk:wish I could get a good picture of that on mine but they go off too fast, the only way really is to make a movie. It does look cool though to have the only sub on the block that can pull people over...:D

#4 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

In my old '65 Pontiac, I modified the housings to take the clip in 55W halogen fog light bulbs, worked great and never blew a fuse. If I was redoing it today I'd add a power relay to take the high load off the stock circuit.

BTW, the '65 Pontiac housings are cast metal not plastic.

Gary

#5 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:27 AM

Have you tried any halogen replacement bulbs?

#6 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

50 watt:

http://www.ipdusa.co...202&RootID=1414

30 watt:

http://www.jcwhitney...catalogId=10101

I think the bulb is an #1156...but not sure. Maybe it's an 1157? Please double check.

#7 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

I would steer clear of higher wattage bulbs.

#8 JEGIII

JEGIII

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

I use the 1156 halogen bulbs in my reverse lights. Noticably brighter and not any hotter. :cool:

#9 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,709 posts
  • Texas

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

You could also use one of those bulbs that 'beeps'. It won't help YOU see but pedestrians/other cars might at least notice you more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users