Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$250 For Piston Rings?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ask Suby Gal at Chap' . I bet they have some for a good price.
The URL that Junkie gave is the site for Jamie at Chaplin.

Hey Junkie, you asked for a cheaper site, I gave you one, you didn't say how much cheaper you wanted it. :lol:

Good luck finding the parts cheaper, just remember, you get what you pay for. Non-Subaru parts, although cheaper, will cost you more in the long run.

$85 from AutoPartsWorld:

<http://www.autopartsworld.com/subaru_parts.html>

I've been happy with parts and service from them.

Jerry, thats who gave me the part numbers :) Im not blaming her for the high prices, but $250... even $175 was more than I Was expecting.

Maybe I'll just leave it up to a machine shop to get the parts and i'll just close my eyes when I pay the bill :-\

-Brian

If that were the case I wouldnt need to be buying any myself. But this block I have will need to be honed and that means new rings and bearings too.

-Brian

I thought the point of getting a junk yard motor was to just swap and run it?

sounds like your getting in a bit deeper that you expected.

you can purchase Nipon piston rings that work quiet nicely from a good parts store. ask for a place that buys from IMC or Worldpac. I did rings bearings gaskets (all Japan stuff) for probably around 350$(my price) for the rallyX RX. since no one wants my spare motor I may build it up too and find somthing to drop it in.

Beck/Arnley rings at Rock Auto are 46.79/set

Sealed Power rings are 81.79 there also.

http://www.rockauto.com/

I think I went serious low ball and used the Beck/Arnley rings in my current engine. With a fresh hone and a 2000 mile break in with non synth oil there's no leakdown at all and the rings have survived their fair share of knock when I was playing with timing and different fuels (12,000 total on the engine).

Russ, your right. Im getting deeper and deeper into this project every week. I have my heads at the shop now being worked on, im sure thats gonna run me $250-$300. The block i got from the yard will need to be honed before it can be used... shop labor and parts (at this rate) will run me another $300-$400.... or I can goto the yard and try my luck again with another random block.

*sigh* With rings and bearings priced the way they are, im leaning toward trying my luck with another block.

-Brian

has anyone had a "cheap set" break?

i'm not starting a debate, i'm curious since i've never rebuilt a block before.

advanced auto parts has piston ring sets for abut $68. and i can get a discount on that. not saying i'm going that route, it'll be couple months before i get that far.

Nippon piston rings are verry high quality in my opinoin. they are a supplyer for such major manufactures as Toyota and Mercedes and many more.

http://www.masterautoparts.com had the NPR rings listed in stock for 39.95

that was just the first place I looked.

they are the rings I am using in the newly rebuilt RX motor and so far they are working just fine.

not knocking the dealer but on items like this but the manufacture buys them from a supplyer who then sells them to a dealership. The dealership sells them to the consumer. thats two extra mark ups on prices than if you just bought from a distributor.

yes I leared a bit working in the auto parts bussiness for 4 years.

Is that $40 for an entire set?

I dont see how rings will just fail... havent heard of anyone having problems on non-OEM rings either.

And CCR were the 1st people i contacted. They told me they dont sell parts, just engines. With all the money I've spent and am looking at spending... i could have bought a CCR engine by now :banghead:

-Brian