Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Use a heat wrench, and carfully. I used some heat and a breaker bar. Have to be careful though about getting too much heat in there or you could damage the rear main oil seal... but if your in there already it only cost about $11 for the rear main seal at the dealer and it's worth replacing.

Keith

If these things are as stuck as some I've seen:

Get a good Impact style 6 sided socket (not 12 point...I had to buy one), then grind the bevel off it, so you get more bite... :grin:

Don't go messing around with sloppy sockets/wrenches, and round out those low profile suckers! :eek:

If that alone doesn't work, use a lil' torch to heat them to a dull glow, then let them cool a minute before trying again...

Also a good impact driver is really helpful.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I had to use an offset 12/14mm box wrench to get them out on the top side. get a friend to hold the crankshaft so you can put both hands on it to keep it straight. They weren't on all that tight on mine.

There was no combination of u-joint extensions I could come up with that would take those things off from underneath.