Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ea 81 blows head gasket

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Subsforever

Subsforever

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Covington

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:00 AM

I think my head gaskets just blew is it possible for them to blow in such a way that coolant can get into the crank case but oil cant get into the radiator. the exhaust hasnt smelled of coolant except the coolant and oil that makes its way into the intake after it clogs up the pvc system and backs up into the air filter housing. also the spark plugs looked normal when i checked them.

Is it ok to just change out the headgaskets without rebuilding the engine the oil only looked bad for about a week before i stopped driving it the lifters where beginning to become noisy.

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

Headgaskets can blow in all sorts of exciting ways. Does the oil in your oilpan look like a milkshake?

It would help to know more info about your car, year and engine-type. If it is the car in your signature ('82) then it shouldn't have any hydraulic lifters/lash-adjusters to be affected by the oil (so the noise is something else).

#3 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

if you have an ea71 or 81, no amount of tricks to fix the HLA's will work, simply because those engines lack them. If you have the tick of death, try resealing your oil pump. I did that but the tick of death remains. I think I'm going to have to rebuild/clean/replace lifters and a valve job. I think noisy lifters are just a common plague for the earlier subes.

If you have lightish brown milkshake oil, new headgasket time.

#4 Subsforever

Subsforever

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Covington

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

yep its the car in my signature and it the oil does look like a milk shake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users