Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone care to estimate HP...? 87 project XT

hey guys

my on going project is an 87 XT Turbo - im trying to get a semi-accurate calculation on what kind of power the car is putting out. the tach is not currently working so i dont want to take it to the track just yet...

keep in mind the car runs rich and gets about 16mpg. it was pinging for awhile but after repeated tanks fulls of 93oct. and octane booster, it seems to have calmed down abit.

boost comes in pretty late, but im working on that.

here are the mods...

-EA82T with Gen 3 heads ported and polished

-Spider Intake is port matched

-WRX stock exhaust system (has all converters)

-VF10 or 11 (cant remember) from a 2.2L legacy

-T-bird intercooler

-about 14.5-15 PSI

-pistons bored .050 over

-K&N conical filter

-RX AWD trans and LSD

-XT6 clutch and lightened flywheel

it has run against a pretty modded RS and pulled ahead to where the RS was behind my back bumper in 4th gear. i know EA82Ts well and realize that they are slugs, but this car hauls

questions for a question...?

toybuilder - yes, genuine subaru and the biggest availible

jay - wanna race again? this time ill boost over 10PSI. did you see the motor when i brought the car to the meet? i wish i could handle a EJ22T swap.

rallykeith - that would be interesting to see, although its not running right at all. just today the guys at work played with the timing and then it died about 6 times in the 20 mile commute home from work. im thinking some kind of vacuum leak but i cant find anything - never did this before so it has to be related.

biff - no. it bolts on to the turbo thats on the car now, but it wont bolt onto the stock unit. aside from that its a tight squeeze and sits a bit low but sounds awesome.

anyone else have any info for me?

Denis , you got any pics of this XT ? steve has told me a little about it , I think he showed me a pic but dont remember , any chace you can post 1 or 2 for me ?

id like to see the exterior and the interior if possible ,

Hell mabey me and steve can just come up sometime and see it ...lol

electric steve...

how did you come up with those numbers? was it a hypothesis?

whats a W.A.G.?

i think theres alot of HP tied up in the downpipe/exhaust right now and quite possibly the timing because of how backed off it is...we were doing an experiment at work today with it and crept it up about 3 degrees - and then we screwed something up someplace with the vacuum lines...

cars...

anymore numbers?

I'm sorry

looks who assumed again today....

W.ild

A.$$

G.uess

my optimistic side wanted to jump higher then "normal" as it *hear the use of a W.A.G.* and did so buy just guessing on those number from what I remember people saying that the EA82 design "might be able to hit the 180HP window at the *crankshaft* AKA flywheel from my last comment. And so it thru in an extra *few* digits for fun and well, thats why so high of numbers.

Thinking the idea of such lofty number was *assumed* by the realistic side of me at the following estimate numbers:

crankshaft HP :182

wheel HP :148 nahhh make it 140 do to the 4WD friction variable

hows that look now?

Last I looked, the Legacy 2.2 used an RHB52 IHI, could be wrong though.

I'd say about 150 to the wheels. The conservative side of "an EA82 could hit the 180 window" is just that to me, conservative. I think that the EA81T can hit about 210-220, and the EA82 could hit 240-260, if everything is done right. And hopefully next summer I will be able to prove this!

All I have to say, (after riding in a 13 second rabbit), is that anything can be made to go really really fast, it's all in how much time money and imagination you have.

Keep up the good work though, and send out some pics, I have a T-bird IC sitting in my garage waiting to go into my car, (it's been there for almost 2 years now), but haven't come up with anything that looks right to me, wanna see how you have yours set up. (although I'm thinking that the spider intake makes things easier).

Originally posted by archemitis

who cares what hp you have, thats fast and furious bull sh!t. its all about quarter mile times. 180... i doubt it. go to the track then run some numbers.

please read the initial post - no tach, no track.

everyone else who made an intelligent remark or suggestion - i think you guys came up with some good numbers...i appreciate the input alot.

adam - the turbocharger designation might be off, this is what i was told from a few different sources, if anyone knows - share the info? i have some big pics i can send to you of the intercooler, and that IC is perfect for the car.

jay, thanks for posting those my friend.

way to turn this thread into a flame

read again: on going project - this car is not by any means 100% figured out (i.e. nothing on the tach display), but maybe ill consult you to make sure that what i do to the car is ok and 'intelligent' enough for your approval

or maybe not

what i really did is disconnect the tach to make room for more 'fast and the furious' type commodities like blue washer lights and jap-writing stickers...

but you have stuff, that doesnt matter to horsepower, like light flywheel and a lsd. its all about the quarter mile times to me, because it shows power to weight, and tells you how fast you realy are. sorry bout the flame, or whatever, hook that tach up and head to the track.:headbang: