Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early 80's EA81 Vaccum hoses.

What hoses are the bare minimum required to run good ignoring emissions concerns? What should be plugged and what should be the vaccum source for each hose? I know this may be a tough question but if someone can please walk me through it.

Well if a holley 180 installation is anything to go by, you need a hose from the the base of your carb (ported vac) to run the disty vac advance. leave the big pipes running from your valve covers intact as this prolongs your engine oil life, you should also clean these pipes and valve in manifold as mine where clogged with heavy oils and crud. there is a bowl ventilation vapour line on the carb that CANNOT be blocked or it will make your engine die after 20ish miles down the road. this on mine ran to the charcoal canister but that's if you have one. If it has a erg valve i think you can make a plate to block it off but aussie ea81's dont have this so ask someone else. then take every thing else out except the fuel and the two small coolent hoses on the block. block off all now vacant nipples on the air cleaner, carb and intake manifold. the hardlines under the intake manifold dont have to be blocked off aswell as the temperature valves ontop of the manifold, if you have them. you can get vacumm plugs from your local car part shop. from memory thats it.