Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I can see! Again. (Headlight conversion)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

It finally stopped raining long enough here for me to install my H6054/H4 multi-reflector headlamp kit on my XT. Thought night hasn't come yet for the true test of lighting power, I can already tell the new lamps are at LEAST 4 times brighter than the old, just looking at the light reflecting off the side of my house.

Piccies....

http://www.ultimates...&cat=500&page=1

(Scroll to the left to see the rest of the images)

Will go out in a couple hours and see how much difference it makes at night.

#2 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

Hey there Geoffrey, nice looking set of lamps. So what kind of bulbs did you put in them?

#3 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Hey there Geoffrey, nice looking set of lamps. So what kind of bulbs did you put in them?

I can field this one.

The new assemblies replace the stock H6054s with a housing that accepts an H4(9003) bulb so that you don't have to change your connectors on the factory headlight harnesses. Hope this answers your question Mike.

Patrick

#4 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

I can field this one.

The new assemblies replace the stock H6054s with a housing that accepts an H4(9003) bulb so that you don't have to change your connectors on the factory headlight harnesses. Hope this answers your question Mike.

Yeah, what he said. :)

The particular bulbs aren't anything special, just plain jane H4 bulbs. If they ever burn out, of course, there's the option of Silverstars...

#5 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

Well I knew what the H4 conversion housings were. I installed similar ones in my Hatchback around the time of WCSS2. So what brand are they, where'd ya' get 'em, and what did they cost?
I've been running 80/100watt bulbs from JCWhitney with no trouble and I never even got around to wiring relays and bigger wires. When I say no trouble, I mean they don't seem to blind folks, no cop trouble, and no melted wires...yet. Amazing improvement over stock. Surprising this isn't one of the more popular mods. Only drawback to these things is I remember selling a set of the smaller H4 housings to Zap and he took them swimming in the deep end of some swamp and got muck inside them. So I guess siliconing the boots on might be a good idea if you're going deep.

#6 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, what he said. :)

The particular bulbs aren't anything special, just plain jane H4 bulbs. If they ever burn out, of course, there's the option of Silverstars...

Ok, where'd you get them and how much? Glad to know they fit in the XT's

#7 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Ok, where'd you get them and how much? Glad to know they fit in the XT's

http://cgi.ebay.com/...20780QQtcZphoto

This is the housing kit (Autopal) and a set of bulbs, though it's advertised with blue bulbs. He'll sell them to you with standard white or high-wattage white also. Mine are the standard white.

It's about $40 shipped, which is still $10 less than a set of Silverstars for the H6054.

I'm just finishing up dinner right now, then I'll go out and check out the practical improvement in lighting.

Edit: OK, just came back from the test drive, and it's a night and day difference (no pun intended). I need to aim the left headlight a lot better (it's aimed too low), but the amount of light the car produces is now on par with the projectors in my Optima. A road that I take home from work that's normally pretty scary is now well-lit with these babies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users