Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel filler pipe repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fender

fender

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • dubuque

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

has anyone patched a fuel filler pipe? my 95 legacy at has a little leak. i was thinking of cleaning it up and trying some jb weld or epoxy on it. what do you think would work best short of buying a new pipe. thanks

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,654 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

buy a new pipe. They aren't overly expensive, and I know I personally wouldn't want to half arse anything in the fuel system that could potentionally lead to starting a fire.

#3 fishy

fishy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

has anyone patched a fuel filler pipe? my 95 legacy at has a little leak. i was thinking of cleaning it up and trying some jb weld or epoxy on it. what do you think would work best short of buying a new pipe. thanks

My 94 has a jeezely leak in the filler neck area... I was thinking about trying something similar but I'm also starting to price around for replacements. since I should be able to R&R it myself I might splurge on a replacement :)

I just found one for my 94 at 1stsubaruparts.com for $111usd plus shipping.
That'll be touching $200 once it gets to me in Canada. Maybe I'll try a home-brewed repair and use the savings to buy fire insurance :drunk::grin:

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,654 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

A buddy from college replaced the neck on his 95 for under 100. So I'd check the price of a new one. They may have changed designs.

#5 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,928 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

The problem is that where there is one rust through, others are sure to follow. In sanding and cleaning the metal around the hole, others will arise. I used an epoxy from Autozone and brake cleaner spray after sanding the area. I tried the epoxy becuse the screws holding the neck on seem immovable. I wasn't very successful as other areas were paper thin and seeped as well. Best to replace if you're keeping the car.

#6 fender

fender

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • dubuque

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

thanks for your input everybody. i'll be buying a new pipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users