Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Axle Replacement

Changing out front right side axle on 86 gl wagon and wondered if it goes something like this.. remove wheel nut, pop out ball joint, slide out alxe and replace, then the same in reverse. Is there something else to it or anything I should replace while I'm in there?? Thanks in advance!!!

you'll need a 3/16's inch punch to take out the roll pin that holds the axle to that trans....other than that, you've got it. you might need to pound the axle out of the bearings. and you might need to take the disc hub off to pull the axle back through. but you shouldn't need to touch the radius rod.

I've been able to do the replacement without ever dis-connecting the ball joint or radius arm. There was a write up on axle replacement in the old Repair Manual, maybe someone copied it and can re-post it so it can be put back into the USRM since this question comes up about once a month.

I actually JUST finished the job myself - I think it is more a matter of how much free space you want around your axle as you remove it - if the DOJ goes bad, it may not collapse all the way, resulting in you having to remove the radius rod and balljoint (balljoint comes out easier if you undo the pinch bolt up top) to get the space to remove the axle - the new one should not have this problem. anything else is strictly under your discression I had to replace my wheel bearings as well, so I removed the whole knuckle assembly; that is far more than you should need to do. Keep in mind, this all comes apart and goes back together in a straitforward manner, so I would not be afraid of tearing into it.

When I've done axles in the past, I've found that the easiest way is to just pop the ball joint out of the knuckle. With the way things tend to rust together up here, it keeps the frustration level to a minimum.

Don't worry, driving a subaru will give you plenty of experience changing axles. You can try lots of different methods and figure out which one is your favorite.