Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Line Replacement (95 Legacy)

Hello

I have a 95 Legacy L Wagon with 140K miles, and the right rear brake line failed (ruptured). After getting the car lifted, I determined that the leak was up and behind the gas tank---and, it appears as though I can't get to the end of the brake line without dropping the gas tank (and, rear axle). Is this true---or, am I missing a different angle that I might be able to get at the brake line??? If I have to remove the gas tank, do I have to remove the rear axle as well??

Also, I have a good deal of rust on the bottom.....and, does anyone have any experience/suggestions regarding the removal/reinstallation of the gas tank/axle--and how the rust might impact the job.

I appreciate your assistance......Regards, John McGriff

Yeah if it is the metal hard line, then yah you'll probably have to drop the gas tank. To get the gas tank out you pretty much have to remove the rear diff, axles, and subframe. I "think" you could leave the crossmember in there, but it may give you more room to remove it as well.

It's not overly difficult, but there's a bit of work involved.

Isn't it possible to re-route the line or tuck it up under there somehow to avoid dropping the tank?????

swi66

That's exactly what I would be looking at if I were in the first poster situation.

Same thing if I had a fuel line leak.

That's what shops usually do. It's almost always possible to reroute.

Johnusnsd, I've just read eslwere that the brake line above the thank is stainless.

Are you absolutely sure that the break is located there?

You know....you are not the first person to say that to me.

The leak is above the gas tank....so, I believe the only brake line up there is the S/S one---and not a "rubber" brake hose.....BUT, I could be wrong.

When I step on the brake, there is a hissing sound and brake fluid sprays from above the gas tank.

I'm determined to re-route---but, unsure how to get at the end of the brake line by the wheel. How can I access that end to repair?

Thanks for everyone's help......v/r John

Isn't it possible to re-route the line or tuck it up under there somehow to avoid dropping the tank?????

swi66

I'm determined to re-route---but, unsure how to get at the end of the brake line by the wheel. How can I access that end to repair?

Maybe I'm missing something. on my 98 legacy I had to replace rear wheel cylinders and on the right rear had to replace the short line between the cylinder and the hose. (drum brakes) I just cut it and put a socket on it to remove.

About 2 years ago I was helping out at a friends garage. There was a Malibu with a leaky fuel line. The lines went through a block that was in-accessible, and thats where the fuel line leaked. Ended up replacing 3 fuel lines and 2 brake lines due to them disintegrating from rust. 5 hours labor plus parts......

swi66

Sorry if I can't help any further. Never done it myself and the underside of my car is out of reach at the moment (car is out in the cold and snow).

Maybe you could ask a shop to give you an estimate. Should'nt cost too much in part and time for someone familiar with that kind of work.

In any case this will bump up your thread and maybe someone who has done it will chime in.

Good luck!

• 4 years later...

Hi. Before I was here this thread appeared. Before you were here there was another thread which should be interesting to you. I don't know excactly but the guy went under the rear seat and finds where all this hooks up to. I believe he was able to pull a new line in while pulling the old out without any serious removal. Good luck.