Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap 2.2l for dead 2.5l in '98 Outback??

borge

Hello,

My '98 Outback just blew its head gaskets. It's got 155,000 miles on it, although the trans. is only about 50,000 old. My subaru guys here are suggesting they swap out the motor for a used/overhauled low miles 2.2l which they consider to be way more reliable. Any opinions?? I was hoping to drive this car well into the 200 thousand plus range like my old 82 hatchback!

Estimated cost about $2,000.

the 2.5 headgaskets are typically done by the dealer for around $1,000 - $1,200. the new updated gasket is not known to fail like the old ones. i'd save a grand and replace the headgasket.

if you're going the 2.2 route, you can pick those up for $200-$500, i'd go that route before spending $2,000 on one.

i do these type of swaps for side work around here, basically i charge $500 and you buy the motor 2.2 and you'll have it back in a day and a half.. in my $500 that included any normal gaskets and such, exhaust manifold, rear main, etc..

too bad you weren't closer.. the last one i did the guy got a 95' 2.2 from a legacy in a junkyard for $375.. it didn't leak surprizingly, so all i had to change was the rear main and exhaust gaskets.. in it went..

garanteed cheaper than any shop :)

personally i'd say do the swap, it will last you alot longer.. the 2.5's were prone to piston slap when cold as well..

oh come on now...show a little love for the poor EJ25. i say since its a DOHC motor, which are a pain to get the cam sprockets lined back up after HG's, i would buy the new 4-layer all steel head gaskets, new seals (crank, rear main, cam etc.) and intake/exhaust gaskets. after you buy the materials, not from a dealer, go online and buy them. go to a local independent suby shop and have them qoute you a price for the HG replace, if you dont like it say fine, what would it charge me to drop off my motor and have you replace HG's? That might save you a couple hundred in shop hours by pulling motor yourself. im assuming you have an automatic tranny. if you do, make sure to unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate FIRST!!! dont try to pull motor out without torque converter. if you want to get even more in depth, you can remove your intake manifold, A/C compressor, and power steering pump, and alternator before ytou drop the motor off at the shop. by doing this you can make sure you wont have to get the A/C recharged, and it will cut down on shop time. unbolt power steering form motor also, just dont disconnect it and have it leak fluid all over the place.

~Josh~