Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap from 1992 Justy to 1990 Justy.

2subarujustys

I recently swapped the engine from a 1992 Justy (FWD) with an auto. trans. to a 1990 Justy (4WD) with a manual trans. There was no engine or engine wiring harness in the 1990, so I used the harness out of the 1992. The main engine harnesses went right together but I had to swap the connector for the alternator. It had a different configuration, so I changed the connector end. It initially ran fine but after about 10 miles, it wouldn't restart. There are codes for a bad cylinder designation sensor, and a bad crank angle sensor. I was wondering if anyone had ran into this problem before. The engine wiring might be different from the auto. to the manual trans options. The wiring schematics that I have accessed have the wire colors listed, but they don't jive with what's in the car.

Sincerely....

Rick Bredijk

kjiderbh@sti.net

• 3 months later...

I've got a 90' with manual trans. I had to replace alot of sensors to get it running properly. replaced MAP, TPS, and ECU. all came out of 94' fwd. I was told by a sub dealer that the 94' stuff is the current replacement for anything predating. Mine runs great now. if you need info about wiring colors or what not I might be able to help. mine is 4wd if that matters at all.