Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Verification of Manual Transmission Problem

Guest thebard17

Guest thebard17

I'm back :eek::D;) .

My Loyale is the first car I've owned with a manual transmission. Everything else that I've driven with a manual transmission has been farm tractors, which are fairly bad examples of how a tranny should act, I think ;) .

The clutch on the Loyale engages/disengages about an inch into the pedal movement (e.g.- I put my foot on the clutch pedal, push down about an inch, and the clutch disengages/engages). She doesn't want to go into first all the time. Reverse has been intermittently grinding, with the clutch pedal pushed all the way to the wall.

My first thoughts are to replace the clutch. If there's anything else wrong with the clutch assembly, I might be able to tell it when I replaced the clutch. And if there's anything else wrong, I might better replace the clutch while I'm in there. But I'd feel better if I had a second (or third, or seventh) opinion.

Does it sound like a worn out clutch? Pressure plate? Flywheel?

Guest Konrad

i'm in the 5% :eek: , my has problem with 3rd,......

konrad

1989 DL Wagon 5spd D/R with LSD

1984 GL Sedan RWD

1982 DL Sedan 4WD

Guest thebard17

Getting into first and third doesn't bother me. It's one of those quirks... if you know how to do it, it's easy... you've got just to have the right touch :D .

The grinding getting into reverse has got worried, though. With the car at a full stop, clutch pressed all the way down, it'll sometimes grind as I shift into reverse. I've seen the interior of tractor transmissions that have been abused... each time I grind going into reverse, I have nightmares of chewed up gear teeth.

Guest Tolerance02

""(e.g.- I put my foot on the clutch pedal, push down about an inch, and the clutch disengages/engages).""

This dosen't seem right to me, there should be about an inch, and even a little more free play on the pedal before you feel the resistance of the clutch cover.

So, if i understand well the cable is to tight tentioned and this will result in a worn disc in a short time.

Urban.

Guest thebard17

At least we're all thinking about readjusting the clutch cable. I've got a morning meeting to go to for work, and then I've made a deal with the woman to check out both of our cars (hers for oil, tire pressure; mine for clutch cable and tightening of exhaust pipe adapter. Don't ask, I won't admit to this hack job. :eek: ). Once I get under there, I ought to be able to play around with the adjustments on the cable and see what happens.

Guest thebard17

Got it, I think. Both the clutch cable and the hill holder cables were fairly loose.

I'd adjust the cables, drive it around Russell Sage's (local college) parking lot, shifting, testing reverse, then adjusting more. My final adjustment left the hill holder tightened as far as it'll go, and the clutch cable just snug.

I drove it for a few days, and things seem to be pretty decent. Managed to tighten up that muffler clamp that was loose, letting the pipe adapter will around, making a bit of noise.

Sorry 'bout resurrecting the dead thread, too ;)