Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Checking a 99 VSS output???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,056 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have a 99 Legacy with a faulty Speedo. I've searched the threads, but have not found the correct voltage outputs from the sensor. This is on a manual trans, single connector with three pins.

Thanks, Larry

#2 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

That is because it is not a voltage, but a signal. sort of like :

_|-|_|-|_|-|_

Well, something like that. the more ticks per second, the more speed, and the higher the needle goes. At least that is what goesw into the ECU. I'm sure that the guage uses something similar.

#3 Slegacy96

Slegacy96

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • West Chester

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

Yeah I got the same thing which has been fixed and still doesnt work. SOA is gettin a nasty letter but this except I have to go buy a 2 cent stamp. What a world.

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,056 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

I pulled the VSS to drive it by hand and check the speedo and the VSS broke in two. After installing a new one and tightening the screws that hold the speedo to the dash all is Fine.

For owners with this problem, it may be worth a try to remove the dash and then one at a time remove clean and reinstall the 5 speedo screws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users