Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA Adjustable Suspension-Info WANTED

Tell me anything I should know about the adjustable suspension on EA81s. I might soon buy an '81 hatch and I don't know if it has it or not. What's the good, the bad...? I heard that it was crap and cost more to fix it all the time than the car was worth. I don't know... Tell me what you know...

If you have the owners manual, it will be in there, and thats the best info on it, with pictures even.

On the front, there are two 19mm nuts on the bottom of the spring, lefty up, righty down, you have to do both or it won't work, gotta keep them even.

on the rear there is 1 nut, don't recall how big, in the middle under the rear seat.

you guys are way off. its 21mm

basicaly, you lube the hell out of the nuts/studs, lift the car, crank in the lift. two bolts on each front strut. i would recommend only cranking about half the lift in, for street driving. i crank mine all the way up when im offroading.

if you are cranking on the nuts, and it gets very hard to turn, stop, back off, add more lube and try it again. if you break the threaded stud(like i have done twice) you are sol without a welder to fix it.

its a great system. nothing different than the non adjustable except for the threaded studs, and nuts.

the suspension most people complain about is the air ride that came on some ea82 cars, those are the ones that are cheaper to replace with non adjustable ones.