Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do you clean your aluminum wheels?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

Apprentice to Subie Gurus

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Marooned in Oregon City

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

I have heard muriatic acid, as it will take off a tiny bit of the metal off the surface, leaving bright shinny metal exposed ... anyone done this? I am a little leary as I know how bad the fumes are for ya ...:dead:

#2 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

Quite frankly, there is no easy way. It takes a lot of hard work. Use aluminum wheel polish and a terry towel wrapped around one finger with light pressure til you get down to "new" metal... then buff with a clean terry towel to a nice gloss. Note: Power tools will leave marks and produce a duller shine.

Once you get them buffed, WAX them, and KEEP them waxed. Between waxings, ONLY wash them with COLD water and use a sponge with light pressure as to not remove the wax prematurely. The wax will ensure you'll never have to experience the agony you're going through now.

BTW, it's easier if you pull the wheels.

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,879 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

I found that the Aromor All Quicksilver works pretty well. I've used it on some detailed rims ('95 Chrysler Town and Country alloys) and spoked motorcycle wheels and i cleaned them really well. Just make sure to follow the directions correctly or it could fubar your rims. Also, keep away from automotive paint since it will turn it a different shade if left on it (found out from experience)

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

cameo

#5 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:46 AM

last time i cleaned alloy wheels (that were off a Landrover of all things) i found a enginneering firm with an ultrasonic cleaning bath then used a polishing attachment on a hand held drill......99% of the hard work taken care of. Last 1% was final hand polish.

#6 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

A buffer works well on smooth aluminum. Unfortunately, I've got the factory Subaru wheels that have small concentric ridges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users