Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suby ea into 71 vw bus

volkswitt

anyone have experience or opinion on putting a subaru ea engine in a early (1971) bay window vw bus? i want reliability and the ability to tow a jet ski tailer at a reansable speed. the price of a suby conversion looks less than a modified vw air-cooled engine but i don't really know. tia

You might want to consider using an EJ22 instead of an EA engine. I know there would be more work involved because of the EFI but since you want to tow a jet ski too an EA maybe a bit overmatch. Also, in the comming years EJ parts will be easier to find the EA parts.

I've got an EA-81 in a 61 split window panel bus,and it's great.

Progressive weber,custom exaust,kennedy adapter,and suby dual fan radiator in the rear sucking in.Cools great and plenty of ponies for the stock tranny w/reduction boxes.Very straightforeward swap and easy to work on too.

bluesbug

I have done two EA81 swaps into VW busses. One in a '71 the other in a '64.

I use adapters from KEP. The EA81 block is actually lighter than a VW engine. Engine fits fine in both.

Easy to put a radiator in the back. If you use the Turbo EA81 water pump and engine driven fan. I could not cool either bus with an electric fan. Another option is to put the radiator in a 'fake' spare tire in the front.

The stock EA81 is about 70 hp. A mild cam will put it close to 100 hp. The engine will run all day at 5000 rpm so go with low gearing.

My '64 with reduction boxes and a Weber DF carb gets 21 to 24 mpg and will easily cruise at 65 to 70 mph. This is a mildly built EA81 with a cam heads and aviation cam.

Be happy to send pics.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
What's the difference between the Beetle and bus trannies? I have acess to a tranny out of a 20+ window bus with the canvas sunroof. Most of the rest of the bus is trash though.

the transmissions are different. the 67 and earlier busses have reduction boxes the beetle trannies don't. peole have swapped bus trannies into bugs and vice versa but it not a "plug in" swap. you can check THE SAMBA for more infohttp://thesamba.com