Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Outback - Rear hatch won't open

Just bought an '98 Outback with a few issues. One problem is that the rear hatch won't open. The key seems to turn ok, and the handle has some resistance to it, but it still won't unlatch. How easy is it to remove the interior panel in order to gain access to the hatch innards? Has anyone had a similar problem? I imagine when I get the trim off that I'll be looking for bent or disconnected linkages. Also, when I use the power locks, I don't hear any movement in the hatch area.

Any ideas on this are greatly appreciated,

Steve H.

I know this sounds stupid, but when I got mine off the lot the rear hatch was stuck also. Turns out they threw the floor mats in the trunk and it got wedged in there. Simple enough to fix. As for access to the latch mechanism, the inner pannel will come off fairly easily, theres six little plastic things on the bottom, pull the cover off each then they slide out. The top is held in with snaps. The mechanism itself is a little bit tricky to get at, the metal panel of the door kind of blocks access. Hope this helps a little.

There is a problem with the handle/pivot points and linkage rusting. Sometimes the handle won't go in far enough and prevents the lock from releasing. Try pushing the handle in all the way while unlocking it.

If this is your problem...

The panel can be taken off, and the linkage is adjustable near the top of the rod at the handle. You have to take off the dammit clip to remove the small rod from the handle assembly, then turn the rod to adjust the length.

Good news! Well, I had a chance to work on it today. Sprayed some WD40 from the outside into the handle linkage area, then sprayed into the lock cylinder. Held the handle down and jiggled the key. Walla - the key turned slightly farther and the handle opened the hatch. Yeah!! I will still take the hatch interior cover off and check/adjust where needed, but at least I know that it does open.

Thanks again for the help,

Steve H.

I just wanted to post that I too have a '98 Legacy Outback with this exact same problem!

It's amazing actually, I was just about to post my own thread to ask how to fix it.

For me, I live in Minnesota, and it only sticks in the cold. It started last winter, about half the time it wouldn't work. Now though, I can't get the door open at all. On warmer days, I can hold the key in the unlock position and the door might open, but lately nothing works. I'll be sure to try the WD 40 in the handle and see if that helps. I've tried it before in the area where the door actually latches, but that hasn't helped.

My driver side door lock sticks sometimes also, but it's the key moving, not the door opening. May have to try something similar there as well. :(

If it's only a lubrication problem this trick will get the hatch open till you put lubricant in the right spot.

1) Be sure the hatch is locked.

2) Push the handle towards the front of the car.

3) Unlock

4) Pull on the handle.

If this works, you only have to lubricate the handle mechanism from outside. Use a antirust lubricant.

Good luck!

Carb cleaner.

Stick the straw into the key slot and give it a good spray. It'll clean out all the gunk, crud, rust and/or ice.

Then use a graphite/silicon spray lube and do the same thing. Also the latch handle, as was previously mentioned.

Just did it on our 2000 Leg after OUR hatch wouldn't open ... it's winter.

OH, go ahead and do the front doors too.

Carb cleaner.

Stick the straw into the key slot and give it a good spray. It'll clean out all the gunk, crud, rust and/or ice.

Then use a graphite/silicon spray lube and do the same thing. Also the latch handle, as was previously mentioned.

Just did it on our 2000 Leg after OUR hatch wouldn't open ... it's winter.

OH, go ahead and do the front doors too.

Any problems with combining the two things in the lock? Seems to me that spraying with a cleaner like carb cleaner or WD 40 would eat away all the gunk fine, but the 2nd coat of silicone or graphite would not go well with the solvent that's already in there. Better to wait a day or two before adding the lubricant?