Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt axle problems

ive got an '89 AWD XT-6, i was having problems with my front cv's this summer and i replaced them with rebuilt ones from Advanced auto parts. first off it took them 4 trys to get me 2 matching axles, then 3 months later i noticed that one of the boots had disinagrated, 3 more trys to get a new matching axle and now the other side is starting to click.

Does any one now if i could drive the car without the front axles in while i have these rebuilt? also is there a good place to get NEW not rebuilt axles?

any input would be great

thanks

ryan

If you wanted to remove the rear axles and drive around in RWD, then yes, engaging the Diff Lock would allow you to do so, although it would be quite a strain on your drivetrain, especially that center diff.

As Ed suggested, get all your rebuilt axles from http://www.cvaxles.com as they're one of the most reputable axle rebuilders in the Subaru world.

um - the front wheel attaches to the axle spindle, so if you are intending to take the front axles OUT while they are being rebuilt, you will have a problem because you won't be able to attach your front wheels

I have heard good things about NAPA's axles, and the NEW ones come with a lifetime warrenty - plus you should be able to find one locally - I think they are ~$100 for NEW axles.

Good Luck

correct me if im wrong, but i don't believe the axle has any thing to do with holding on the wheel. the wheel flange is part of the spindle which is bolted to the strut/ lower control arm. all the axle does is power the front wheels via the splines that go into the spindle, and the nut on the end only keeps it from coming out of the spindle. if im wrong please let me know

im just concerned about doing any kind of damage to the front diff by running it without any resistance from the groud.

"If you wanted to remove the rear axles and drive around in RWD, then yes, engaging the Diff Lock would allow you to do so, although it would be quite a strain on your drivetrain, especially that center diff."

if you do that, you will go no where

remove the front axles and install the stubs -- they are needed to hold the wheels on, unless you're at the junkyard

then engage diff lock, push button or turn switch

lock the diff this will work. DO NOT ENGAGE/DISENGAGE diff lock when CAR IS IN MOTION!!!

as far as the hubs the axle is splined, not pressed, so the wheel is held on by the hub itself and the axle is not part of this like the older 4 lugs

the xt6 axle fits the same as legacy and impreza axles, 25 spline

you may get axles cheaper if you order them for a NEWER model subaru, awd models

OK - I thought the XT6 used the same basic front setup as the EA82/older with different (legacy-like) brake assys and such - on an EA82/earlier you can't remove the front CV axle and drive the car - because the axle is part of what holds the wheel on - the XT is an EA82, with the XT6 being weird :drunk: - I actually have a FSM for the XT6 in the mail on its way to me, because I am consitering doing a mod of sorts :cool: .... I have not made a decision yet

Thanks for letting me know though

so just to clarify, i could run my XT6 without front axles but i would need the stubs to prevent wheel bearing damage. i would also need to engage the diff lock.

what year AWD legacy/impreza axles would i need to get? are you sure that these would work? a couple of the axles i have gotten have been identical to my xt6 axles except that the size of splines that go on to the output of the trans was about an 1/8" too small in diameter. i think the problem ive been having with axles is that they are lumping all xt's together instead of having seperate #'s for the 4 and 5 lug setups

thanks for all the input

ry