Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 Brat stereo.

Ok, so I'm wanting to put a decent stereo in the Brat. Yet the stock placement is the wrong shape, too narrow etc.

Long story short, I think I can manage it without loosing the clock, and little cutting.

I want to keep my original center console plastic thingamajig incase I need to put it back.

I guess what I'm asking is, is that part interchangeable between any Gen 1's of a similar era?

And what have you guys all done for Gen 1 stereos, pictures would be super.

hehe... its quite a challenge to get some sound into a gen 1...

but so far i've gotten a pioneer deck in there along with a pioneer 12'' sub and alpine 6x9's behind the seats...

getting the deck in there requires cutting... and you can see in the pic i kinda rushed it... but its really hard to make the ring fit on there nice...

but besides that little buggered spot on the upper left corner it looks pretty slick... and the clock lives! (although can't keep the time...:rolleyes: )

i bent a little bit of metal bracket stuff around the back and used the little rubber bushing bolt thing to hold the deck in... it keeps the deck from floating around... but its pretty much useless against theft...

3164IMGP1509-med.JPG

3164IMGP1510-med.JPG

the sub box was made my myself... its not amazingly pretty but it gets the job done!i had to cut the ebrake cover a bit to get it to fit... but other then that it works great... and i can get the seats most of the way back... (even with my new rx seats...:D )

amp for the sub is under the passenger seat...