Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Door & Other Questions

This is going to sound silly, but how does one open the fuel door on an 86 XT GL? Currently, I am manually using a key fob to open the fuel door, but it seems to have a latch that can be opened from inside the car. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the lever or button to do so. Can anyone tell me where it might be (and no, the car did not have a manual when I purchased it)?

The second question is that there is some sort of toggle switch under the sterring wheel, located immedeately above the winter/summer wiper selection switch. I have no clue what this toggle could be wired to, and all my switching it back and forth hasn't seemed to affect anything that I could notice. Anyone have any clue?

Not sure about the XT, but all the other EA82 cars have the fuel door release on the floor right next to the drivers seat, by the doorsill trim.

The second question is that there is some sort of toggle switch under the sterring wheel, located immedeately above the winter/summer wiper selection switch

Forgive me if this is a naive question, but what in the hell is a "winter/summer wiper selection switch"?

On my XT's, the fuel door release is intigrated into the trunk pop, on the floor to the left of the driver's legs. Pull it up to pop the trunk, push it down to pop the fuel door. In fact, on my 86, every time I pop the trunk, the fuel door pops too, cuz when I let go of the handle, it springs down hard enough to pop it.

The toggle switch is most likely something aftermarket, although it might be a replacement for the winter summer switch. Flip it, then turn the wiper on and off, to see where it parks.

My pals two SVX's have wipers that park over the defroster vents, then hide when not in use. Really slick, I wish some of that technology would have made it on down to the older stuff, but they came along later in life. It is a real plus when it is freezing, Bradd

The mystery toggle is not the wiper switch. My factory wiper switch works fine.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place, but I couldn't find the trunk lever in my car. Under the dash, I have the steering wheel lift, the hood lever, the wiper switch. I have fore-aft and the height adjustment levers on the bottom of my seat. I couldn't find anything else.

Hmmm...

It should be fairly obvious...black rectangle, about .5 inch, by about 1.5 inch, should be directly in front of the drivers side seat rail...

I'll take a picture of mine when I'm working on it next.

Mine are GL-10's though, I don't know if that makes a difference of not.

RedLance

Is your XT a DL model by any chance? It really shouldn't matter though. If it is where it should be look here. When you open the door look at the left front corner of the drivers seat. Then look straight down to the floor. Along the door sill plastic covers there should be a small handle. If it isn't there try pulling that cover and looking for the cable as Rob suggested. If the handle is broken you can pull one from the junk yard.