Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Door & Other Questions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:28 PM

This is going to sound silly, but how does one open the fuel door on an 86 XT GL? Currently, I am manually using a key fob to open the fuel door, but it seems to have a latch that can be opened from inside the car. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the lever or button to do so. Can anyone tell me where it might be (and no, the car did not have a manual when I purchased it)?

The second question is that there is some sort of toggle switch under the sterring wheel, located immedeately above the winter/summer wiper selection switch. I have no clue what this toggle could be wired to, and all my switching it back and forth hasn't seemed to affect anything that I could notice. Anyone have any clue?

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:55 PM

Not sure about the XT, but all the other EA82 cars have the fuel door release on the floor right next to the drivers seat, by the doorsill trim.

The second question is that there is some sort of toggle switch under the sterring wheel, located immedeately above the winter/summer wiper selection switch

Forgive me if this is a naive question, but what in the hell is a "winter/summer wiper selection switch"?

#3 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 09 October 2003 - 11:02 PM

It makes the wipers park higher on the windshield, IIRC.

Jay

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:38 AM

Hmm.. never seen such a thing on my soobs.. I feel deprived.

#5 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:40 AM

Caleb,
It's an XT thing, I've seen it and never knew what it was before now.

Don't know the answers to the other questions though.

#6 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:08 PM

On my XT's, the fuel door release is intigrated into the trunk pop, on the floor to the left of the driver's legs. Pull it up to pop the trunk, push it down to pop the fuel door. In fact, on my 86, every time I pop the trunk, the fuel door pops too, cuz when I let go of the handle, it springs down hard enough to pop it.

The toggle switch is most likely something aftermarket, although it might be a replacement for the winter summer switch. Flip it, then turn the wiper on and off, to see where it parks.

#7 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:37 PM

exactly what redlance said, pull to open truck, push to open fuel door. my xt6 was that way

#8 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:15 PM

My pals two SVX's have wipers that park over the defroster vents, then hide when not in use. Really slick, I wish some of that technology would have made it on down to the older stuff, but they came along later in life. It is a real plus when it is freezing, Bradd

#9 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 11 October 2003 - 12:03 AM

The mystery toggle is not the wiper switch. My factory wiper switch works fine.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place, but I couldn't find the trunk lever in my car. Under the dash, I have the steering wheel lift, the hood lever, the wiper switch. I have fore-aft and the height adjustment levers on the bottom of my seat. I couldn't find anything else.

#10 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 11 October 2003 - 08:28 AM

Hmmm...

It should be fairly obvious...black rectangle, about .5 inch, by about 1.5 inch, should be directly in front of the drivers side seat rail...

I'll take a picture of mine when I'm working on it next.

Mine are GL-10's though, I don't know if that makes a difference of not.

RedLance

#11 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,105 posts
  • WA

Posted 11 October 2003 - 01:00 PM

Is there a chance the lever could have broken off? There should be the end of a cable down there if so. The switch could be for a set of driving/fog lights.
Rob

#12 SovereignMK

SovereignMK

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Spokane WA USA

Posted 11 October 2003 - 01:34 PM

Originally posted by RedLance
On my XT's, the fuel door release is intigrated into the trunk pop, on the floor to the left of the driver's legs. Pull it up to pop the trunk, push it down to pop the fuel door.

Fuel door anwser.

//M

#13 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 12 October 2003 - 06:24 PM

I've looked in the "cockpit" of my car several times, and I cannot locate the trunk/fuel door lever. Where is it in relation to the hood lever, wiper selection switch, and steering wheel lift?

#14 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 12 October 2003 - 06:36 PM

On the floor, at the base of the front seat, along the edge of the bottom of the door frame. With the trunk release.

#15 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:57 AM

Does someone have a picture or something, because it's simply not there in my car when I look.

#16 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:14 AM

Is your XT a DL model by any chance? It really shouldn't matter though. If it is where it should be look here. When you open the door look at the left front corner of the drivers seat. Then look straight down to the floor. Along the door sill plastic covers there should be a small handle. If it isn't there try pulling that cover and looking for the cable as Rob suggested. If the handle is broken you can pull one from the junk yard.

#17 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:03 PM

This is on my Legacy, but it is the same place on the XT's that I have seen...

Posted Image

If it is not there, I don't know what to tell you.

#18 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:11 PM

nice pic Hocrest. yup thats the varmit!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users