Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Interesting" brake noise on 04 Forester XT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lispisgone

Lispisgone

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

Well, I just did my brakes all the way around this weekend. Things went smoothly aside from the hastle of finding the right pads. Had the rotors turned and I cleaned the calipers thoroughly... adjusted the e-brake and slapped it back together without any issues.

Two days later, I started to hear a very strange "rubbery" sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel. The sound is ONLY made when the pedal is pressed, and only at lower speeds (below 30mph). The speed of the sound matches the revolutions of the tire and is intermittent. I can feel no vibration in either the steering wheel or in the brake pedal... at first I thought it might be a torn boot but they are all in pristine condition. It's definatly not a scratching/scraping noise... and it sounds nothing like any other 'brake' related noise that I am used to.

I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel back off yet (had to work today, damn Mondays) but plan on doing so as soon as I get home. Any ideas?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, pull the wheel off and take a look at it.

#3 sea#3

sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:20 AM

Have a look at the surface of the rotors , look for a patern that looks like a record groove along the surface of the rotor. If that's the case you will have to turn them again . then the rotor should be sanded so that they have a cross hatch patern in them ,This will seat the pads faster and reduce the likley hood of the noise coming back . You should also wash the rotors after doing this to get any filings off the rotor surface

SEA#3

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't recommend turning the rotors again. At that point, just buy new ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users