Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket or Cracked Block?

Hi:

I have a 99 Subaru Legacy Outback. Made a post back in early Jan (Mystery Overheating Engine). Returning to ask advice -- can a mechanic tell whether a block is cracked JUST by witnessing exhaust in the coolant system? I still owe on my car and can't EVEN imagine paying out $5K to get a new block at 113K miles.

Should I have the mechanic run a test to be certain it's block vs gasket?

Ms. Dickens

a cracked block will have antifreeze in the oil most of the time. a cracked head gasket there will be gook in the raidtor. very very very few cracked blocks here, so it would be a safe bet for a HG. i dont even recall a single cracked block here unless the engine was cooked.

Get a second opinion, and what are your symptons.

nipper

haa ha, more fun posts about this for me to get called 'incompetent' and other childish names.

here's the bottom line ms dickens: coolant in the exhaust does not mean cracked block period. it can, but doesn't exclude other more common things.

i've replaced with my own hands 6 blown headgaskets. drove to work today in one with 150,000 miles on it.