Ultimate Subaru Message Board

H G Repair on 96 2.5 DOHC To Pull or Not to Pull Motor

I Just bought a 96 Outback with 152K knowing that it had a Head Gasket problem, but the price was right. My local garage does great work and for a reasonable rate. They quoted $600-800 labor and just use my parts.

While the HG repair is made, I am going to have the H20 pump done, timing belt,plugs, hoses, accessory belt, serpentine belt and cam seals done as well. Anything else recommended while this is all happening. I was going to get the 1st subaru engine overhaul kit with the gaskets and seals all included. Oil change and coolant also will happen after the HG reapir. Car has a new radiator.

Poll time, will it take less time to pull the motor or leave it in with all of this happening?

I would pull the engine and put it on an engine stand , much easier to torque the head bolts when it's out . You might want to replace the separator plate at the rear of the motor if it's black plastic

SEA#3

Yeah, what he said....Much better results and you back doesnt hurt so much after.....

You are correct you can leave the engine in to replace the head gaskets. Yet that is the incorrect way to do it. The reasons for removing the engine are the following-more access to adjust the valves, replace seperator plate, o-ring and rear crankshaft oil seal. If the vehicle is a 5-spd inspect and replace clutch if necessary. Good luck.

You are correct you can leave the engine in to replace the head gaskets. Yet that is the incorrect way to do it. The reasons for removing the engine are the following-more access to adjust the valves, replace seperator plate, o-ring and rear crankshaft oil seal. If the vehicle is a 5-spd inspect and replace clutch if necessary. Good luck.

It is an automatic.

So either way is OK. From a labor perspective, do you think more time with the engine in or out?

It is an automatic.

So either way is OK. From a labor perspective, do you think more time with the engine in or out?

The time really isn't the issue here. Has the rear seperator plate been updated from plastic to aluminum? In addition once they overheat they tend to damage the oil seals. So when the engine is out you can replace the rear crankshaft oil seal, seperator plate, and the plate o-ring.

The time really isn't the issue here. Has the rear seperator plate been updated from plastic to aluminum? In addition once they overheat they tend to damage the oil seals. So when the engine is out you can replace the rear crankshaft oil seal, seperator plate, and the plate o-ring.

I understand now. Take it out and while out replace rear crankshaft oil seal, seperator plate, and the plate o-ring.

Does anybody know if the 1stsubaru overhaul gasket set has all of this in it?

I understand now. Take it out and while out replace rear crankshaft oil seal, seperator plate, and the plate o-ring.

Does anybody know if the 1stsubaru overhaul gasket set has all of this in it?

The engine was pulled today and it was in pretty good shape. He said itwas in much better condition than most other engines he works on with that many clicks.

No evidence or oil consumption or head warp. Tommorow or Monday it should be finished.

Dang I wish I'd of known about this site when I changed my HG's. That plastic separator plate was leaking and I just took it off, cleaned it up and re-installed with rtv. Hope it lasts. I'd like too see the mech that can change those heads with it in the car. I wouldn't want to try it. I don't know about anyone else, but I changed the belt tensioner also. Another thing! did you find the drivers side cams harder to turn when lining up the marks? I did. Called a mate and he say's thats normal. ?

Dang I wish I'd of known about this site when I changed my HG's. That plastic separator plate was leaking and I just took it off, cleaned it up and re-installed with rtv. Hope it lasts. I'd like too see the mech that can change those heads with it in the car. I wouldn't want to try it. I don't know about anyone else, but I changed the belt tensioner also. Another thing! did you find the drivers side cams harder to turn when lining up the marks? I did. Called a mate and he say's thats normal. ?

BTW, the 1st subaru gasket engine overhaul kit does not include the sperator plate. The replacement was 12.00 and it was aluminum.

The DOHC is a PITA to change the timing belt on in the car, and real tight on the sides. You will also want to change the oil seperator with a metal one, as the plastic ones warp and crack, causing oil leaks at the rear of the engine. So you really need to pull the engine anyway. Trust me, it will be a lot easier. I also recomend that the oil pump be "refurbished" (replace the front crank seal, and the O-ring for the oil pump, and tighten the screws that hold the backing plate on. these screws have a history of backing themselves out and then you get oil leaks, and or lost oil pressure). Other than that, you look good to go with that list.

I Just bought a 96 Outback with 152K knowing that it had a Head Gasket problem, but the price was right. My local garage does great work and for a reasonable rate. They quoted $600-800 labor and just use my parts.

While the HG repair is made, I am going to have the H20 pump done, timing belt,plugs, hoses, accessory belt, serpentine belt and cam seals done as well. Anything else recommended while this is all happening. I was going to get the 1st subaru engine overhaul kit with the gaskets and seals all included. Oil change and coolant also will happen after the HG reapir. Car has a new radiator.

Poll time, will it take less time to pull the motor or leave it in with all of this happening?

Thanks for all of the great info everybody. Total HG job with timing belt, hoses, belts, water pump, all seals and oil seperator was $1300 with labor and parts. Hopefully it lasts a long time.

:banana:

great price for an excellent job on having everything done. good post, that will be good information for others with these issues.

oil pump requires timing belt removal, so doubtful you'll want to pay for that job any time soon.