Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power windows assistance needed '89 GL wagon

Guest moosens

Guest moosens

I've swapped the switches and relays that I know were working and I'm still not getting any window action.

My floor on the passenger side is kind of soggy,soaked actually,as I need to swap out the rugs and repair my heater core once and for all.

What else should I check?I do have a Fluke multimeter and can fumble through checking for continuity.I'm not real comfortable with wires and electrical stuff so bear with me.

The car is my '89 GL 4WD Touring wagon.If anyone has any info I'd really appreciate any help.Thanks

As of the last time I checked NO switches were working.The main switch I have now was working as was the relay.I saw them work just days ago.

Guest GlCraigGT

There is a power window control unit under the passenger seat there is also a power window circuit breaker under the same seat.

Guest oobnuker

Paul - Like I said, John said the windows worked in that car just "slowly" - I don't know if you're having problems with the door panels you got from me...

I've got all the other junk in that car still - the power window control, etc. So just let me know if you need something.

Guest moosens

Yup,I've swapped the gizmo under the passenger seat.Infact I used a few that I was sure were working,as well as the main door switch on the driver's door.Must have been through a solid 3 or 4 sets so there's gotta be something else.

Control unit you say?Is that something other than the the unit under the pass. seat?I guess I called it a relay.

I'm getting ready to do a minor restoration on the car.I'll be pulling the seats,rugs,padding out and doing a serious bleaching,washing,replacing of said items.

Also have to yank the dash and do the heater core(cause of floors stinking and soaked with a little help a floor hole I'm guessing).It's going to be all exposed so I'll probably be able to check all the wires much easier then.

Guest subu luvr

Did ya ever get this resolved?

dying of curiosity.

wagon i got from c150L suddenly developed spirits

and would vacillate, lock/unlock till i pulled the master

switch, but never did fix it.....

Guest moosens

Not yet.My A/C works great so opening the windows is low priority at the moment.

I have a wet passenger side floor so I'm thinking those wires on the floor have bit the dust.I'll let you know what I find out.

Guest c150L

Just a quick "get me up to date".

Are all the windows working slow or not at all? One way but not the other?

Set your volt meter for DC volts (somewhere above 14volts if that is selectable, but lower the better to get a more accurate reading.) Check to see how many volt go into the 2 wires that go into the window drive motor. If way under 12v, check it again with the drive motor disconected to see if it comes in closer to the voltage you read directly off the battery.

My XT6, one window acts normal, the other is real sloww. Just figuring either it is binding in the tracks or the brushes in the motor are getting weak. I didn't know these was a window controler in the system. Have to look into that, just to see what it is and what I can do with one for a project sometime.

Guest Cougar4

Nice choice on the multimeter there Paul. Flukes, like Subarus, rule.

From you post it sounds like you need to use the meter and check for voltage at the relay under the seat. My manual shows a large white wire to the relay that supplies voltage to the switched red wire side. If you don't have voltage to the white wire check the fuse links and the breaker near the relay for power.

If you have power at those points then the control box and its' wiring need to be checked.

If you have questions on the meter operation let us know.

Glen

Guest moosens

Thanks,I hope to check sometime this week.Soon it'll be window weather instead of A/C weather...Amen!

No windows at all.Nothing up,nothing down.And like I said I'm 100% sure the switch(main drivers panel) and the relay were working in another car.