Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy GT - headlight upgrade?

My 98 legacy GT wagon has marginal headlights, (and almost non existent driving or fog lights). I'm sure this has been discussed before so I will try the archives, but is there an easy upgrade for the headlights in the aftermarket? One that will not blow fuses or have limited life of bulbs?

Thanks.

rdg

My 98 legacy GT wagon has marginal headlights, (and almost non existent driving or fog lights). I'm sure this has been discussed before so I will try the archives, but is there an easy upgrade for the headlights in the aftermarket? One that will not blow fuses or have limited life of bulbs?

Thanks.

rdg

Here is what I have done ... goto your local parts store, and ask for the hella brand headlight OEM up-grade light. They make a light that will replace the stock one that has a much less diffused pattern ... this is NOT street legal, however, if you don't aim them too high, and use the bulbs (55w in my case) that they came with (these should be the same wattage as your stock ones ... you should double check to be sure) you shouldn't have to modify anything other than removing the old lense and putting in the new. I did run into one hang-up on the lights I bought for my brat, and that is a grounding issue, but this was fixed by just putting a couple layers of black electrical tape around the lense where it was self-grounding and turning on where it touched the bezel, this might not even be an issue with your car.

Hope this helps :)

Try re-aiming them in your garage to nearly level, so you project further down the road, but don't blind oncomming traffic. I'm pretty happy with the Headlights on our 01 GT and our other vehicle (Volvo XC90) has those cold blue factory installed Bi-Xenon headlights.

Jack