Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil Viscosity Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JBRIII

JBRIII

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Lousiville, KY

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:56 AM

Looking for some info for my wife's 96 Outback. I'm currently using 10W30 Valvoline Maxlife in this vehicle. It has 110k on the odometer. Doesn't use much oil between changes, but leaks around the valve covers. (have to replace every other year)

What is the preferred brand and weight of Oil for Subaru? What have you guys had luck with? We do get some very cold winters here on occassion as well.

Thanks for any help.

John

#2 boxerhummfetish

boxerhummfetish

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:17 PM

I dunno what valvoline maxlife is, but i hear that dino oils are gentler on the seals (or leak less) than synthetics.

Here's what I do:
3 liters of 10-30 dino oil plus a quart of straight 40 grade (or 20-50 in very cold weather). Add some extra detergents at 2500 miles (stp or gunk), and change after 5000 mi.

But since you say you get "very cold winters" all 10-30 might be better, or even mix a quart of 5-30 in there.

#3 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:12 PM

I use Chevron Delo Heavy Duty 15W40 in my wife's 1993 Legacy.

#4 applegump

applegump

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • CH

Posted 10 October 2003 - 05:05 PM

I use 10W40 semi-synthetic all year round with some oil useage. I change at the recommended mileage.

#5 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 10 October 2003 - 08:12 PM

Cold is relative. I used to have a great email about that. But anyway...

In western NY I use 5w-30 full synthetic in the winter(november 1- april 1), and 10w-30 full synthetic in the "summer".

It snowed here last week. It was in the 70s today.

#6 boxerhummfetish

boxerhummfetish

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2003 - 09:44 PM

don't use pure 5-30. it isn't recommended anymore; too thin. This oil is used by manufacturers to increase their MPG numbers, but it may not be the best for the engine, especially one that is well broken in (>80K mi)

From
http://www.endwrench...sityInfoW01.pdf

"Oil Viscosity For 1996 Subaru Vehicles Engine oil viscosity for all 1996 Subaru Legacy and Subaru Legacy Outback vehicles is specified as 5W-30 to improve fuel economy. This is a different viscosity rating than used in earlier production engines. At the present time, it is not recommended that a 5W-30 weight oil be used in Subaru vehicles calling for a different grade and viscosity. The oil used must meet the requirements for grade and viscosity as noted in the Owner s Manual."

#7 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 12 October 2003 - 03:13 AM

Mobil 1.

5W-50 summer, temp up to plus 34 C
0W-40 winter, temp down to minus 20 C

No problems, over the last 60k miles and two years. Never any problems in other vehicles that I have treated similarly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users