Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what year did.....

Guest Petes84

Guest Dennis

on EA82 engines:

87 for wagons

86 (i believe) for sedans

EA81s were never injected unless they were turboed, the last year they put that motor in cars was 88 or 89 for the hatchbacks i believe...

Guest OH Noah

Yeah, '89 was the last year of the EA81 (carbed) Hatchback.

1985 was the only year for carbed 2wd EA82 cars.

1987 was the last year for carbed EA82s altogether.

Guest PoorManzImpreza

so my 1989 ea71 powered carbed wagon doesn't exist..and yes it came like this from the factory...

but then I'm in a different country LOL

Kaz

Guest UltimateRX

Kas, not in the USA, but else where in the world I think Subaru still makes a carburated engine.

So, Kas, how is the Subaru service in Barbados??

Guest PoorManzImpreza

lol service and Barbados in the same line...Yeh Corky we got one official subaru dealer down here...and umm well they are ok as long as your looking for a part from a car they sold..so asking them for a head gasket for an ej22 gets a long pause and 'I guess we can order that for you from japan..but it'll cost you'...even tho' I know they sold a few..they are average to good at maintaining them and the garage is equiped with all the custom FHI tooling that any dealer has access to..I'm slowly forming a relationship with the parts guys so when I get there they just hand me the L series parts book so I can look through it at my leisure and I sometimes can get a discount...

4wd L-series cars are as rare here as RXs are rare up there and GL( and anything higher) wagons are almost all imports from the uk by returning residents

on the new gen front the legacys are mostly ej18 powered with a few 2.2 GX models floating around and one or two 2.0 turbos..the impreza is the subaru of choice with ej16 fwd GL models being the base and of course the impreza WRX being the top model..there are more wrxs than there are 4wd L-series cars with more than a couple sti variations..the STI and STI-R are imported directly from japan 'second hand' with usually 30k-50k Km on them and are usually in almost factory condition..front cuts and half cuts are reasonably plentiful but I'm still putting feelers out to acquire my own at the price I want 2 pay...beautiful thing is our cars are RHD and we have no emission standards so once duty is payed and the car is licenced and insured you can drive it..

right now my car is a 1989 DL wagon ea71 powered with hitachi carb that came 5speed fwd w factory ac I've rebuilt the entire suspension as our roads are bad and punish a cars suspension, put on 8 spoke pug alloys w khumo ecsta 712 205 50r15s tires and changed three cv joints as complete half shafts are expensive costing around 500 USD...I want to get an ea82 carbed but most the 1800s were autos so I'd have to get my flywheel redrilled to ea82 crank bolt pattern unless I come accross an ea82 flywheel..my tranny needs a rebuild but it still shifts and at least one of the valves on the LHS isn't seating properly probably a worn valve guide...

and btw it's Kaz not Kas lol

sometimes I wish I was living up there with all the parts opertunities and such then I slap myself and remember where I am ;-)

Kaz