Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 legacy 4wd auto

i just wanted to know if the walmart/auto parts store stuff would work or if it is a special stuff from the dealer.

Any will work. If you want the best, though, try AMSOIL Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid. It gives your AT a suited up life for an extra MPG. Shifts smoother, too. May or may not be noticeable on some vehicles, so don't take my words too literal.

90 legacy 4wd auto

i just wanted to know if the walmart/auto parts store stuff would work or if it is a special stuff from the dealer.

Any brand ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) should be okay. Check your owner's manual to see what specific kind you need--or if you don't have the manual, just go to an auto parts store and ask--they should be able to look it up for you.

Good luck.

It'll take 8.3 Liters, or 8.8 quarts, depending on if you feel like metric or american capacaties the day you buy your fluid.

It also says to run DEXRON II Which is different from Mercron, the friction additives are different between the two and could cause either harsh application of the clutch bands, or could cause them to slip.

Any Dexron will work, as by now there probably up to Dexron V, it'll be the one "formulated" for GM vehicles.

It'll take 8.3 Liters, or 8.8 quarts, depending on if you feel like metric or american capacaties the day you buy your fluid.

It also says to run DEXRON II Which is different from Mercron, the friction additives are different between the two and could cause either harsh application of the clutch bands, or could cause them to slip.

Any Dexron will work, as by now there probably up to Dexron V, it'll be the one "formulated" for GM vehicles.

Dexron III and Mercon are the same fluid, but Mercon V is different. Dexron III is backward compatible to Dexron II and Dexron.

A simple drain & fill will take about 4 quarts.

They are different enough that subaru recommends dextron. Even if there is no real difference, why take that chance?

Dexron III and Mercon are the same fluid, but Mercon V is different. Dexron III is backward compatible to Dexron II and Dexron.

A simple drain & fill will take about 4 quarts.

They are different enough that subaru recommends dextron. Even if there is no real difference, why take that chance?

Every Dexron III container I have ever seen has been labeled Dexron III/Mercon. This is because Dexron III meets Mercon specs and vice versa. Dexron and Dexron II are obsolete. Mercon V is a different fluid than Mercon/Dexron III and shouldn't be used in Dexron applications. The container will only say Mercon V, with no Dexron designation, so it's unlikely that you will confuse it with Dexron III/Mercon fluid. Ford is currently using Mercon/Dexron III and Mercon V, along with Mercon SP and other fluids.

I've seen plenty of cases at the dealership where cars come in with one or the other, and the tranny shifts funny even with a "reccomended" fluid.

It dosn't cost any more to make sure you get Dexron, so don't take chanes with Mercon if you don't have to.

WHO CARES, as long as it says Dextron II or III on the bottle some where you're good!! It could meet the potatoe french fry cooking oil spec for all I care.

Grumpy?! :-p

I did not realise that the container states they were interchangable. I was simply referring to what the owner's manual states.

Every Dexron III container I have ever seen has been labeled Dexron III/Mercon. This is because Dexron III meets Mercon specs and vice versa. Dexron and Dexron II are obsolete. Mercon V is a different fluid than Mercon/Dexron III and shouldn't be used in Dexron applications. The container will only say Mercon V, with no Dexron designation, so it's unlikely that you will confuse it with Dexron III/Mercon fluid. Ford is currently using Mercon/Dexron III and Mercon V, along with Mercon SP and other fluids.

Whew - that was confusing! But I think I'm clear now.;)

Grumpy?! :-p

I did not realise that the container states they were interchangable. I was simply referring to what the owner's manual states.

Whew - that was confusing! But I think I'm clear now.;)

:lol:

As long as the container says Dexron on it, it's the right stuff (unless you found it in your granddad's basement and it's from the early '70s-hehe), even though it says Mercon too. If it says Mercon but not Dexron, it's probably Mercon V or Mercon SP, which is the wrong fluid.