Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej dohc to sohc swap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

from what i have read its possible to swap sohc heads (ej18) to a dohc ej20 n/a block.
this would allow me to swap an ej20 into a brumby without cutting the frame rails.
i know that swapping ej18 heads onto a ej22 gives about 11 or 12:1 compression ratio.....anyone got any idea of what the compression would be if the same heads went onto a ej20 n/a block?

(im disregarding the smaller valves and passages in the ej18 heads as i don't want a high RPM motor,bottom end and midrange are more important to me)

#2 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:01 AM

bump

#3 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

forget the ej20, get an ej25 block and some ej22 heads. stock ej25 headgaskets will get you 10.8:1, and phase 2 headgskets much higher though valve clearance may be an issue.
no heads are going to help your low end like displacement will. besides I am willing to bet that ej22e SOHC heads flow a lot better at low RPM than ej18.
the ej25 has the same deck height as an ej20 so you are not sacrificing any width of the motor. just my 2c, I would not mess around with ej20 and ej18 stuff.

#4 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

if i could easily get a ej22 i would, but im in new zealand and we didn't get many ej22's.
EJ20 dohc and ej18's are easy to get hold of here (ej25's are so expensive that its not even funny)

an ej20 sohc would be the bomb, but most here are dohc

#5 mikie

mikie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:17 AM

Got an EJ22 Sohc sitting here sulking thats its not being used for anything. But its in Palmerston North. Complete, still in car, busted auto. Shipping to the SI is expensive :/

#6 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:14 AM

i dont know what CR you would end up with but it would be higher than normal, and you might have to run premuim fuel. and how would the DOHC ECU and wire harness run the SOHC heads?

~Josh~

#7 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:20 AM

i dont know what CR you would end up with but it would be higher than normal, and you might have to run premuim fuel. and how would the DOHC ECU and wire harness run the SOHC heads?

~Josh~

don't need ecu and harness if i get ej18 heads...i've got a distributor and inlet inlet manifold off a carbureted ej18....:banana:

#8 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Got an EJ22 Sohc sitting here sulking thats its not being used for anything. But its in Palmerston North. Complete, still in car, busted auto. Shipping to the SI is expensive :/

mikie i've sent you a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users