Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale wgn rear wheel bearing

Ok, wifey told me that my wagon is making some bad noises in the rear. I took it out for a spin and heard the same thing. I jacked the rear up and grabbed each wheel for looseness. Found the drivers-side to be wobbling badly. So I pulled the cotter pin and got a full turn and a half opn the castle-nut before it tightened. I torqued it to scooby specs and checked it again. There is still the slightest play in it still. Took it for a test drive and heard some noise and also it felt like the car dragged a little intermittedly. I`m suspecting that I lost a ball or 2. What do you think ??? Also, what is the going rate in cost to have this repaired if I do it myself, compared to having a garage do it???

I just had to do this in my car & my brother in laws car as well. I had the slightest amount of rocking on the hub. In my bro in laws car, going around a sharp right hand corner the bearing would go silent. Straighten out again and it was back to grinding.

i think I got the new bearing + seals for a hair under $100. Figure a shop will charge about 2 hours worth, so add about another $140ish (here at least).

My car went fine. on my brother in laws though... the ring nut behind the bearing was stuck. Had to take it to a shop and get them to break it loose with an impact wrench. Took it back home and finished it up on my time without any other problems. Took me around 3 hours the first time, and quicker the second time. Just depends on if you have the time/place/know how to do it.

Thanxxx for the response. Your right with the "depends on if you have the time/place/" which I have neither at the moment. I took it to the local garage this morning and they gave me a out the door quote of $243. I have to bite the bullet this time...