Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ac conversion

randomizer

Anyone out there have a quick diagram on how to plumb the AC compressor to use with a tank for air tools and maybe a basic parts list? I have a basic understanding of how it should go but I'm not positive whether I am 100% right or not. Also if anyone knows the psi on one of these compressors (I will be using one from an EJ22)?

I believe that the PSi is up around 400, at least thats what the gauge says when its in operation, but that is the "high" side behind the oriface and without that the pressures should be lower, maybe around 150 ish.

As for plumbing, i believe Jerry did this on his hatch/brat. As far as electrical you should be able to run a relay and switch. For the air, you'll want some kind of filter that puts oil into the compressor to keep it from burning up, and you'll want somthing to take it out after it gets through so you don't get puddles of oil in your storage tank. Jerry put a small tank in the spare tire area, and if i ever find the picture of it i'll be sure to put it up here.

Hey Randomizer This is Jerry, yrs i have done this on my hatchbrat works really good. On your compressure you have 2 lines one big and one smaller, the big line you attach a air filter to it. The smaller line you need to get a 1 way check valve and install it into the line then plum it into the tank. You Also need a pressure switch for 125 psi and that gose in the tank to tell the comprusser to turn off or on. Then plum your line where ever you want it. I also have a gauge inside of the dash so i can see how much pressure i have in the tank. If you do this project you will have to remove the suction hose about every ten times the pump comes on and drop about 5 drops of comprusser oil into the pump to lube it. The tank i got from a semi truck aslo the 1 way check valve came from the same truck. The pressure switch i got from the hard ware store make sure you tell then what you are useing the switch for that way you get the correct switch. The air filter i got from sears for a small portable air comprusser. Thanks Jerry