Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 GL Wagon failed emissions!

Again, I'll have to make the comment I did last time about the emissions problems...

Let me register it in Whatcom County - all you have to do is put my name on the title/registration and all you have to do is make sure the car is paid for and that you sign the car to me.

Simple.

Problem Solved.

Do you think it could be fixed by that "Pass Emissions" goo that you pour in?

I'll re-iterate a previous post:

On 6th Ave. South in south Seattle (near the Spokane St exit from Interstate 5) right next to the emissions testing place, you'll see a van parked in the side street with a sign--"$39.95 and you'll pass emissions or you don't pay." He is good to his word; I have run more than a dozen "beaters" through him and he's always come through. The few times he couldn't get it working it was because of a defective part. For example, an old Honda Prelude didn't pass and I brought to him. In 15 seconds, he told me he couldn't get it to pass. I asked why, and he said the diaphragm in the vacuum advance had a hole in it. He said bring it back with a new advance unit installed and he'll get it tweaked to pass emissions. $50 later (for a new advance unit) and another 15 minutes of adjustments and the car was good to go. His repair lasted for 6 more years (and 3 emissions tests) before we finally sold it. He's state certified and he has a complete sniffer setup in his van. Ask ratty2subaru about him. You won't regret it. And you won't regret having a car that isn't polluting the world.

The original post can be found at http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5127 Apparently this was fixed without going to the place I suggested. Can't hurt to try. Just so you know if you fail the 2nd time, the third re-test IS NOT FREE. So whatever you do, make sure it will pass before you retest.

Originally posted by northguy

There was a similar thread about this less than a week ago with a complete list of cures that actually work.

Not quite. That person had high CO; high HC has overlapping but often different causes.

(Flooded purge canister, for example. Don't know if it happens on Subarus, but it does on other cars.)

Usually, however, it's either a very bad overrich condition, a dead (or very low) cylinder that isn't firing, or an ignition problem of any sort.

HC = unburned fuel

Look for reasons why unburned fuel is making its way through the engine.

Air filter restrictions are tempting, but 3xx at idle is pretty high.

It's possible that you have failed cats, too, but you'd usually see elevated CO with that as well.

Chances are I'm just going to go the bad-person route and register my car out in Duvall where my family lives (and therefore not needing to do emissions testing).

The fact that it fails, however, says that SOMETHING is wrong with the car. I wanna go to an effort to get it looked at.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I thought that perhaps it might be related to my timing... so we checked my timing.

It's right at 8 degress TDC with it attached to the #1 wires... looks like everything is as its supposed to be.

Any suggestions?