Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird speaker noise

Hello, I have a 93' Loyale SW 4WD and to my knowledge nothing has ever been done to the stock stereo (radio and tape). When I got the car the 2 front speakers were completely blown into shreds. So I figured, easy enough, get new speakers and plug them into where the old ones were, so I do that, and while testing them out I notice a weird click coming from the driverside(the passenger side sounds GREAT) and it will also like "cut out and make a like aaaeaeaeaeaeaeae noise when the "Fader" dial is past the little notch and even before the notch it sounds very ************ty, my connections are the original, and it is definately not the speaker because I have tried 4 other ones and they all do the same, so that narrows it down to the wiring(I have tried switching the speaker wire around on the speaker), or the reciever/radio. I plan on replacing it with an aftermarket CD player within the next 2 weeks, I wanted to just by a faceplate and wiring harness and do it myself, but now I'm contemplating on bringing it to like best buy or some stereo install place, any ideas? Damn, I should have gotten slim speakers, so my window will go all the way down, I have a vision that I might be able to fix this with, but thats another story. So feel free to gimme advice!

• Like 1

some contact cleaner on the fader control should help/solve your problem otherwise, you may have a blown amp in the radio MAKE SURE YOU USE 8 (or more) OHM SPEAKERS!!! or you WILL blow the factory amp

factory stereos are CHEAP if you can find one in a JY, and I have never seen a bad one before, the fact that it is only one one channel makes me think it is not the noise isolator

With only one speaker making noise It sounds to me like there is a power or ground wire running too close to the speaker or the speaker wire somewere. It is highly likely that if there is a power/ground wire that it isrunning directly from the battery and at least 10 AWG and needs to be moved closer to the center of the car. If not then I agree with the above that there is something wrong with the factory radio. Whatever happens when you put aftermarket speakers in an old sube you need to run new speaker wire because they don't work properly on common ground so you will need six that.. It is possible that that the stock speaker leads are causing this problem being common ground.

Not even sure if this is remotely related to the problem NewDriver is having but I have a JVC 200w stereo with Pioneer speaks and just recently my drivers side door speaker developes a static sound when turned up above half volume (like 25ish out of 50). I've checked all wiring, everything is fine and pass. side speaker is fine. Its rrrrreeeaaalllyyy annoying.

Well change the speaker with a different one and give it a test. If that solves your problem that means your speaker has developed the dreaded death rattle and it will need to be replaced. Hey, It's worth a shot.

Not even sure if this is remotely related to the problem NewDriver is having but I have a JVC 200w stereo with Pioneer speaks and just recently my drivers side door speaker developes a static sound when turned up above half volume (like 25ish out of 50). I've checked all wiring, everything is fine and pass. side speaker is fine. Its rrrrreeeaaalllyyy annoying.

Well change the speaker with a different one and give it a test. If that solves your problem that means your speaker has developed the dreaded death rattle and it will need to be replaced. Hey, It's worth a shot.

Ya, I'll try that. One more thing to ponder about, the static noise only occurs when the engine is running. When the engine is off, no problems at all.

Ya, I'll try that. One more thing to ponder about, the static noise only occurs when the engine is running. When the engine is off, no problems at all.

That's the dead-giveaway for an isolation problem - your speakers are picking up the electronic noise comming from the car's high-voltage ignition system

most any car audio place should be able to help you solve the problem - generally, a replacement radio will not help - I have a neighbor who has been there many times because the installer of her aftermarket stereo did a bad job

one question - have you modded your car? high-performance coil and the like? just curios ....

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else have any ideas about how to eliminate the problem?

Everything works fine when car is off, nasty static on drivers side speaker when car is on.

The weird this is that back when I installed the speakers and headunit, this didn't happen. It started a couple of months after the installation. Hhhmmm.....

Replace the speaker wire running from the head unit to the speakers with a twisted pair (Monster makes some great stuff for this). Should help cancel out the noise.

Factory wiring in old cars usually works okay, but its usually pretty thin stuff, and very prone to picking up noise. I ended up replacing the speaker wires up to the door loom in my XT6 because of this reason. Same problem, brand new headunit, brand new speakers, and the driver's side picked up static when the car was running. Bought a roll of the monster stuff (not very cheap...), and its gone.

How did you get the wires to the door? Trying to get the wires through the rubber conduit-ish thing that all the other wires go into seems kinda difficult.

You can do it, but it is difficult and tricky. I mean I made it up to the loom, and spliced in there. Never went through the rubbery thing into the door panel. There aren't any electronics (except maybe power windows?) that would cause any real interference.

There aren't any electronics (except maybe power windows?) that would cause any real interference.

That is exactly what I was wondering about. Its weird that that speaker used to work with no interference, and now it picks some up. I haven't added any high load wires near there either. Its really weird.

I'll try to tackle that re-wire job tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks

Erm its a capacitor that stops the emf from getting into your sterio, I think it gets conected accross your points?. Does the static change frequency when the engine revs up higher. Load cables near your speaker wiring wont do much unless they are getting switched on and off all the time or current is consistantly changing, as a magentic field has to move in/out for it to induce an electic current into another wire. This is also why you drop power to your coil you get a spark. Our work van seems to have the same problem with sterio, you can hear the coil firing, seems to get allot worse when not under load. Have not got round to fixing it yet as the sliding door keeps falling off and this is taking up all of our 'free time'.

Btw the resister you are talking about I have only seen on older coils for soobs and am pretty sure has nothing to with the interference as I dont have one and mine is fine.

Well, I just got back from a 300 mile road trip and about 50 miles into, the static stopped completely. How odd . . . now lets hope it doesn't come back!

Sorry I only got to reading this thread after you were already 50 miles into your trip. If I would have read it earlier, I could have fixed it telepathically for you sooner. Sorry for the delay.

:D