Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swap Engine 97 2.2 in 98 2.5

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

I am moving forward in swapping out my engine on a Outback 98 2.5l for a 97 2.2l. Does anyone know if I will have an issue with connecting the exaust back up? I blew the head gasket on the 98 2.5, almost 1900 to repair.

#2 srponies

srponies

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Trevor

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:19 AM

From the information I've gathered regarding a similar swap, the 2.2 has a different front Y-pipe than the 2.5 . This is because the 2.2 heads have a single port compared to the dual port on the 2.5. Find yourself a used 2.2 Y-pipe to install when you do the swap, and everything else should be straightforward.

Maybe try the classifieds here on the USMB, or try www.car-part.com for something at a salvage yard.

Good Luck,
Steve H.

#3 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:53 AM

Good news, I am picking up the entire car this week so I will have the Y pipe. I just need to verify that the engine has the same amount of bolts that link the transmission as did the 2.5

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

you might need the engine sensors and wiring harness from a 1995 2.2. I believe it is a direct hookup for most 2.5 liter vehicles, but no other years are.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

you might need the engine sensors and wiring harness from a 1995 2.2. I believe it is a direct hookup for most 2.5 liter vehicles, but no other years are.

this is not the case. the 1995 is only advantageous because of the dual port exhaust that the later 2.2's don't have. which isn't an issue if you have the y-pipe (or a welder). sensors won't be an issue.

#6 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

I checked the donor car one last time, its a 97 Outback and it does have dual exaust coming from the engine

#7 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

The 2.2 engine has been pulled, I am changing some of the gaskets on the 2.2 since it is out of the car. The blown 2.5 is disconnnected, waiting till the weekend to pull it out and swap the engine. I am planning on having her running Sunday night.

#8 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

A downgrade??? :confused:

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

A downgrade??? :confused:

a little in hp yes, but in reliability terms and cost savings it's an upgrade.

what are you doing with the blown 2.5, i know someone in PA looking for a 2.5 motor. Pm or email if you want to get rid of it.

#10 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Sold it to somone local

#11 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

Its done, runs like a champ. Used a 2.2 97. The bad engine was a 98 2.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users