Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Postal wiring problem

Hi, I have a 98 Legacy Postal and the Power antenna won't come up and the hazard switch doesn't work. Fuses are all good. I checked the wiring from the underhood fuse box to the side panel fusebox and it appears that the white wire from pin 5 connector f35 doesn't connect to pin 7 of connector F40 on the sidepanel fusebox. The connectors at both ends appear good but there is no connectivity on the wire as indicated by my ohmeter.. I ran a test wire jumper from the fuse under the hood to the connector at F35 and everything works with the jumper connected so the wire connection seems broken somewhere in between the two. I comes out of the fenders near each fuse box. Now the question. How does one fix this? where does the wire go to get between the two fuse panels? and how does it get routed in between? Is there some other connector hidden away somewhere that I missed? Thanks for any info.

John C.

I also have a postal Subaru mine is a 97, I had problems years ago with my antenna I just pulled it up by hand and undone the elc. motor plug their at the antenna and leave it up it has caused no problems.

Hi, I have a 98 Legacy Postal and the Power antenna won't come up and the hazard switch doesn't work. Fuses are all good. I checked the wiring from the underhood fuse box to the side panel fusebox and it appears that the white wire from pin 5 connector f35 doesn't connect to pin 7 of connector F40 on the sidepanel fusebox. The connectors at both ends appear good but there is no connectivity on the wire as indicated by my ohmeter.. I ran a test wire jumper from the fuse under the hood to the connector at F35 and everything works with the jumper connected so the wire connection seems broken somewhere in between the two. I comes out of the fenders near each fuse box. Now the question. How does one fix this? where does the wire go to get between the two fuse panels? and how does it get routed in between? Is there some other connector hidden away somewhere that I missed? Thanks for any info.

John C.

It sounds like you have a good maunal for reference and if so I assume it doesn't show a connector in between the fuse panels. If that is so then the problem is most likely at one of the connections that appear to be good. Have you made sure they are really good by using your meter? I would check for voltage by piercing the wire insulation near the connections.

Cougar,

That is exactly what I did. I pierced the wire about three inches from the connectors and checked the continuity from the fuse to the wire, and from one end of the wire to the other. I have a partial wiring diagram but not a full manual. The wiring diagram doesn't show any intermediary connectors but it also doesn't show how the wire gets from the kickpanel fuse box to the main fuse box either.

If I can't figure it out I guess I will have to just clip the wires off at each end, figure a way to get the new wire from one place to the other and solder it to the connector. Not an elegant solution but I guess it will work.

Thanks,

John C.

I don't know what is available to you, but here in CA all auto parts stores and Radio Shacks sell grommet kits. If I am running a wire I often run two or three so that if another goes I have one handy. I noticed recently when I was working on a locomotive that somebody had done the same thing. If they have to pull 35 feet of wire thay do a few extras too. I thought it was just us bus guys.

My Mitchell info agrees with what you say and doesn't note any connector inbetween the two points. I would gess there has been a cut made to the wire somehow. You could purhcase a set of factory manuals or a CD copy off Ebay. A factory manual will have the info you need. To me they are 'priceless'.

Well, since there doesn't appear to be any in-between connectors, guess I'll just run a new wire - and a couple extra, just in case - that was a good idea.

It doesn't seem likely that a wire could get cut running inside a wiring harness, maybe it was just defective or had a thin spot or something. Anyway the bypass should cure the problem. Thaks for the help guys.

John C.