Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 Fuel injection into '86 carb, GL wagons

Monte

Hi, new to the group. I've gotten some good info from here now and then, never posted.

Anyways, we have a couple GL Wagons, an '86 and an '88. The '88 is fuel injected, the body/drivetrain has over 350k on it. The '86 only has 130k, but is carburated. Can I transplant the fuel injection system from the '88 engine to the '86 engine? What are the major parts that need to get transplanted that might not be obvious from just looking under the hood?

Thanks,

Monte

You will probably find the performance to be unsatisfactory, as the carbureted short block has lower compression than the SPFI block. I think you'd be better off finding another SPFI longblock and then swapping it in to your car. Good luck with the project.

Oh, that's a little bit of information I've never heard. Well, I guess there's always rebuilding the motor in the donor car and putting everything in the other one. The engine in the donor is a "Japanese engine", should only have less than 130k on it. Thanks.

Monte

You will probably find the performance to be unsatisfactory, as the carbureted short block has lower compression than the SPFI block. I think you'd be better off finding another SPFI longblock and then swapping it in to your car. Good luck with the project.

Well, I have to ask, are you sure? I've been looking around after you first mentioned this and I can't find anything other than the 2 compression ratios for Turbo'd and non-Turbo'd EA82's. I don't have a manual, I guess I could go to Schuck's.

Edit: I found this page, it shows that the carbie and spfi have the same CR

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/specs/general/1986glwa.html

I'm assuming that the '88 spfi has a 9.5:1 CR too.

Monte