Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 justy 2wd

I was givimg this car by a friend because she moved away. Its in really good condition but I haven't messed around with subaru's until now. I can see an oil leak coming out of the back of the cylinder head above the tranny. It looks like a ball bearing maybe a weep hole or something can anyone tell me what i need to do to fix it. I think its a 1.2 engine

Its a 1.2l engine and its below the dist. right by where the head meets the block the deal sticks out from the head and has like a 1/4" ball bearing in it its part of the cyl head itself maybe some type of relief deal i never seen it on a car before it looks like its leaking oil but don't know what it is I need to get a digital camera would be alot easier. :drunk:

Originally posted by MilesFox

its a suzuki! a geo metro motor. subaru designed the driveline and aquired the marketing rights to sell it as a subru

I'm fairly certain the original Justy had a Subaru designed engine. 1.2L vs 1.0 or a 1.3 for the Geo/Suzuki. Now of course they are one and the same but I think the ones that sold in the US were Subie designed. I have been know to be wrong though but please don't tell my wife that:burnout:

Craig,

I am not sure what that hole is for, but mine is just a smooth bore & plugged at the other end.Nothing in there to leak. Use a mirror & flashlite & you can see in it. As said before, mine has always leaked from the distributor & that may be where your oil is coming from, too. Just a few drops of oil seems to make a mess, but never do I add any oil. Mine has 231,000 miles on it & never had the head off. If yours leaks a lot, you could see about getting the valve cover gasket, an O ring on the distributor shaft replaced, & anything else that may be leaking.

These ARE a 1.2 Fuji[ Subaru] designed engine, in America.

This has been discussed before, and the consensus was the Subaru engine is definately NOT a suzuki, or geo motor. Too bad actually, cause from what I understand the Geo and Suzuki motors were much more reliable. My neighbor had a brand new justy that went 120k before the motor went. He takes VERY good care of all his rigs - his 85 4WD wagon has 335k on it. Mountain Tech (subaru only shop here in OR), refused to rebuild the poor justy for him. He said he didn't care what it cost (his wife really liked the car), but they still refused - said he wouldn't be happy with it, and to get her something else. So now she drives a Saturn, cause none of the new Subaru's can be flat towed behind his RV. Sad, but understandable given the situation. I just wish he had told me about it before getting rid of the poor justy - it was immaculent, and I could have dropped a motor in pretty easily.

Oh - and the Justy had a 1.2L engine here in the states, and they had 1.0L engines in Japan.

GD