Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

83 locking diff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 myshoeisonfire

myshoeisonfire

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Portland/Corvallis

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:49 AM

Ive got an 83 ea81 wagon with 4x4 hi/low range - I was wondering if there is a way to weld the gears in the back, or otherwise lock the diff in the rear of the car?

I have never opened up a subaru rear end - I dont know if welding is even possible, or if its something i want to do. I just want something as close to a locker, or posi as possible, as i only use this car off road

thanks!

-Dan

#2 subarunuts

subarunuts

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:30 AM

Welding is pretty easy actually. Weld the spider gears to each other at each corner (4 welds).... I like to use a nice grade 8 bolt and jam it in the gears at the point where I make the weld. Never had one break yet. Don't weld the gears to the carrier as that is cast, and brittle. The gears are hardened, and will make a much tougher weld.

#3 1978 fj40

1978 fj40

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • newtripoli pa.

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

Welding is pretty easy actually. Weld the spider gears to each other at each corner (4 welds).... I like to use a nice grade 8 bolt and jam it in the gears at the point where I make the weld. Never had one break yet. Don't weld the gears to the carrier as that is cast, and brittle. The gears are hardened, and will make a much tougher weld.

can you weld it in the car ? also what did you use to clean off the gear oil ? what type of rod did you use ? thanks john

#4 subarunuts

subarunuts

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

It can be done on the car, yes. It's best to remove it so you can be sure there are is no spatter left inside the diff before reinstalling. I used brake cleaner as it leaves no residue to clean the gears. Since I used a Lincoln 220v MIG to do the welding I could not comment on the rod type.

#5 1978 fj40

1978 fj40

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • newtripoli pa.

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

It can be done on the car, yes. It's best to remove it so you can be sure there are is no spatter left inside the diff before reinstalling. I used brake cleaner as it leaves no residue to clean the gears. Since I used a Lincoln 220v MIG to do the welding I could not comment on the rod type.

thank you for your help, i have a 220 mig with gas that should work hate to go through the trouble to take it out have a good one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users