Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do *YOU* prefer old gens?

I had a conversation with a friend last night, and was talking about wanting a clean GL-10 Turbowagon.

He asked why I don't just get a newer Subaru, like a Legacy GT or an Outback.

Thinking about it, there are a few reasons I prefer the old gens.

1. I like the styling. The newer Subaru styling is cool, but I really have a thing for the late 80s angular styling.

2. Less junk between me and the road. AWD is nice, but I just don't like ABS/traction control/etc, and a center differential is another thing that I really don't have control over. I don't think it's a huge issue, but I know exactly where power is going with the D/R tranny.

3. Ease of maintenance. New gens aren't that bad, but... man. The EA82 is trivial to work on.

4. Fewer old gens around. In Iowa City, at least, there are a TON of new gen Subarus, and about 50% of them have "Look at me, I'm LIBERAL!" bumper stickers of some sort. I've only seen 2 or 3 other old gens around.

5. Community support. USMB is great. I'm sure there's good support for new gens as well, but it seems like almost all the old gen guys do their own wrenching.

6. They're CHEAP! $1000 gets you a nice old gen, $2000 or so gets you a *mint* old gen. And parts are quite inexpensive too.

So, why do *you* like the old gens?

-=Russ=-

I'm a college student - I need a reliable car that I can service, 4WD is nice, parts are cheap, I have great gas mileage, and my parents bought the car new before I was even born - I grew up in it so it is VERY familiar with it .....

my enjoyment partially comes from the fact I almost NEVER have to do tuneups - I converted it to SPFI from Hitachi carb almost 20k ago, and I adjusted the disty once, and have never adjusted the idle or anything else since then - and the car runs great!!

just do your front seals every 60k with the timing belt, and you will never use oil (my cam towers/valve covers have never leaked on me) - I still check it, but I don't have to add any - need I say mention how often my parents have had to borrow my car in the past because theirs had broke down .....

EA81's are even simpler than your EA82 to work on.... that's one reason. I've done things on EA81's that I would think impossible on any newer engine in the time it took me..... 20 minutes for a front crank seal.... 30 minutes for a radiator.... 30 minutes for a water pump.... 5 minutes for an alternator... etc.

They have their issues too tho - just like any aging vehicle. They eat axles like candy - I've since gone to NEW axles as the remanned units seem to all be junk - same goes for junk yard stuff which more than half the time are the same remmaned crap, just half used up. The wiring connectors are simply some of worst for that time period. I've taken to replaceing any that I come across with GM waterproof stuff from the same vintage. The Hitachi ignition, and alternators are just garbage.... replaced the alt with a GM too, and switched to the 2WD ND stuff for ignition.

They may be easy to work on, but a lot of the time you would save ends up being lost to fixing multiple problems, and having to redo things multiple times because of bad aftermarket parts, or use of junk yard parts. It's a trade off, and one that only a mechanic can afford to make. If you don't work on them yourself, then they are not a good choice at all.

Personally I have a thing for Brat's. I just like em. Not sure why.

The reasons I like the old gen stuff: I like the durability,simplicity,the way they look,I like that they are different,easy to get stuff for,but not something you see every day.I also like that the ea81 is really strong and easy to get parts for.I really can go on and on but you get the point.:)

I think Syonyk said it all. Except around here there are tons of old gens around too.

I love it when the traction to horsepower ratio gets to where my EA82 couldn't handle any more horsepower. Then I can watch the big suv's (and even some of the newer subaru's) spin around on the ice everytime they touch the gas because they've got too much power and break the wheels free. It's fun to be the fastest thing on the road for a change (even it it is only 15mph).

personally, i love both the new and old, i have the 86 rx and the 00 impreza rs.

granted, i like the rx a little bit more than the impreza, its more of a drivers car. you are more in touch with things in te rx than the impreza. the old cars have soul.

the best thing about the old school cars is that parts are cheap and when i cant find em in a store, i can get em from gary, lol.

Mainly because there is no other car that quite fills the boots of a ea81/ea82 4wd subaru - perfect mix between on road and off raod abilities - without guzzling through the gas.

Plus, they have way more character than any new car could have IMO.

Personally, i dont see the point in spending heaps on a newer car, when there are plenty of good old beasts with hundreds of thousands of kms left in their life for so cheap!

I have always loved the styling of my EA82 wagons..and in this area a nice one is becoming rare....Also easy to maintain...they can be quirkie but seem to almost always get you to where you have to go.

You can't turn around without seeing a Blue STI or an Outback or a Forester around here..but in my area there are only 5 EA82 wagons around and mine is one of the nicest ones. Plus the gas mileage..come-on...name another wagon that gets over 40 MPG highway.

Along with the non-ibnterference motor..dependability..room..whats there not to like...granted I would love a 2.2 Impreza wagon sport..but I never want to see my Loyale disappear.

Design of the wagons. i prefer the 85-89 GLs but i will also consider the 90-94 Loyales too. oh and the engine interchangability and durability of the car itself. just to be specific i like everything thats why i prefer old school subies.

#1 the engine is installed in the right direction. At least both the heads are equally dificult to work on, not one easy and the other buried under the dash.

#2 rugged. Man these cars can take a beating and still go. How many other CARS will drive themselves out of the woods after being destructivly hydrolocked, then go another 50 miles after that without blowing up?

Someone had this in their Signature, but we all know where those went. It went something like "I'd rather drive a slow car fast, then a fast car fast" or something like that.

I like pulling into the staging parking lot at the sand dunes...everyone staring at me....as I release my dune flag and then speed off into the dunes without getting out of my car for ANYTHING (Like locking hubs or airing down). That's only one reason why I like old gens.(I'm sure I'll do that if I ever get a new gen :headbang: )

There is no model that comes close to a GL hatch back now a days!

1. The 2 door options, sports cars with 4 doors? not in my books... oh ok I let the STI slip by... but they better fix it ;)

2. Price, I can get 10 hatchback for the price of a mildy used WRX

3. Inssurance, $245 every six months including glass coverage

4. Gas mileage, 39 mpg on my old hatch. I hear justy's do better than that too!

5. Emissions, They aren't as strict with them. Around here 1995+ has to be near mint, and read as stock on the PC scan.

6. Maintain, There's fewer things to break!

8. EA-81 timing chains, airplane approved durability

9. The rugged square metal look of a real punk mobile!

10. Doesn't sound like a bumble bee in a tin can when you free flow it, in fact idles like a harley when you hop up the cam :D

11. Hatch has a shorter wheel base than any of the EJ platforms

12. You can always drop an EJ into an EA :D

13. Aftermarket lift kits, There are plenty of high quality vendors with all you lifting dreams.

14. If you blow your engine you can find a used one for under $500 or a rebuilt for not to much more.

15. Swaping Engines/Tranys is easy and with some buds and a lift can be done under an hour easily.

16. Parts are dirt cheap!

17. No electronic limiters and controllers

18. NO ABS, this has been proven to stop a car in fewer feet and have less control than standard breaking when using professional drivers for comparisson.

19. Unique, everyone and their grandma sports an EJ.

20. Curb Weight, need I say more?

21. Speeding tickets :D they aren't as flashy and tend to be let off more, or not even noticed. Not to mention the obvious fact they are harder to speed with.

22. High/Low range, with 5 spd.

23. LSD rear end

24. Not Bubbly and plastic like everything else that is on the road today.

25. No airbags, I personal hate these things one nearly TKO'd me when I was off roading with my friend in his new Chevy, and he didn't even hit anything hard. Crossed over 1 logg and it went off. Left Nasty marks on me too!

26. Your driving a peice of rally car history

lol, my thoughts at least

Fishums

There is no model that comes close to a GL hatch back now a days!

1. The 2 door options, sports cars with 4 doors? not in my books... oh ok I let the STI slip by... but they better fix it ;)

2. Price, I can get 10 hatchback for the price of a mildy used WRX

3. Inssurance, $245 every six months including glass coverage

4. Gas mileage, 39 mpg on my old hatch. I hear justy's do better than that too!

5. Emissions, They aren't as strict with them. Around here 1995+ has to be near mint, and read as stock on the PC scan.

6. Maintain, There's fewer things to break!

8. EA-81 timing chains, airplane approved durability

9. The rugged square metal look of a real punk mobile!

10. Doesn't sound like a bumble bee in a tin can when you free flow it, in fact idles like a harley when you hop up the cam :D

11. Hatch has a shorter wheel base than any of the EJ platforms

12. You can always drop an EJ into an EA :D

13. Aftermarket lift kits, There are plenty of high quality vendors with all you lifting dreams.

14. If you blow your engine you can find a used one for under $500 or a rebuilt for not to much more.

15. Swaping Engines/Tranys is easy and with some buds and a lift can be done under an hour easily.

16. Parts are dirt cheap!

17. No electronic limiters and controllers

18. NO ABS, this has been proven to stop a car in fewer feet and have less control than standard breaking when using professional drivers for comparisson.

19. Unique, everyone and their grandma sports an EJ.

20. Curb Weight, need I say more?

21. Speeding tickets :D they aren't as flashy and tend to be let off more, or not even noticed. Not to mention the obvious fact they are harder to speed with.

22. High/Low range, with 5 spd.

23. LSD rear end

24. Not Bubbly and plastic like everything else that is on the road today.

25. No airbags, I personal hate these things one nearly TKO'd me when I was off roading with my friend in his new Chevy, and he didn't even hit anything hard. Crossed over 1 logg and it went off. Left Nasty marks on me too!

26. Your driving a peice of rally car history

lol, my thoughts at least

Fishums

*me wishes he had as many thoughs in his head as fishum's post:drunk: *

I LOVE brats ... can't explain exactly why, but even as a kid I thought they were just fun looking ... I will have to get an '81 or something too tho ... I like the round head-lights better than my squares .. that is my only complaint with the gen2 brats ... too plain on the front end ... that's part of the reason I dressed it up with my deer guard and shark teeth ... now I just have to get back to finishing the light covers that look like angry eyes :grin:

I always liked my old 86 gl 4wd d/r wagon because there was metal where it counted and not plastic. I drove my wagon on the beach, in the mud and on trails in the mountains. If I had done some of the stuff I did in my sube in an imprezza or legacy, I would have busted up the plastic molding under the bumpers.

Also, real 4wd with a real shifter. Must suvs don't even have this. I don't like pushbuttons.

Oh, and how could I forget, my wagon had lots of glass and lots of flat surfaces for posting all of my "look at me I'm liberal" stickers :headbang: