Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suba-Skidder

Andyjo

So a subaru makes a great skidder for small scale logging opperations :grin:

subapull.jpg

We dragged 7-8 LARGE trees out of the woods with my roo'. While the jeep sat at the bottom of the hill :drunk: It was some pretty nasty snow, not that much, but it was crusty, with alot of powder underneith.

We're building a heavy weight sled for our winterfest thing this year :grin:

I only got stuck once, just lost all traction trying to pull out a good 40fter... about 8" diameter the whole way... it was rough!

go go gadget subaru! :banana:

These are rugged little cars. The Older Gen folks tend to doubt and dislike them because they are unfamiliar with them. Once you own one, you realize it's still a Soob, but with more bugs ironed out. :) The suspension is pretty tough compared to an ea81 or 82.

Good for you Andy, sweet pic.

Yep, I remember about 3-4 years ago I was going beach camping with some friends. It had been a really wet spring, and the usually easiliy accessable beach was blocked by several large logs. I could get over them fairly quickly with my soob, but others were coming with less capable vehicles. So, out comes the chain and I dragged several waterlogged lengths out of the way. One of them was over a foot in diameter, and about 20' long. No prob.

I don't doubt the ruggedness of the newer gen units, but they still tend to start at around 7-8 grand around here. Hardly a candidate for bush vehicle in my opinion.

I don't doubt the ruggedness of the newer gen units, but they still tend to start at around 7-8 grand around here. Hardly a candidate for bush vehicle in my opinion.

Can't argue with you there.

You're kinda close to Seattle aren't you? They can be had for 3-4 grand for the 96's, Austin payed less than a grand for his 93. . .

Should you go on a mission to get one, I'll help you find one local to me.

And people make fun of me for carrying a chain in my subaru, Whatever! :grin:

the jeep wouldn't even make it up the hill i romped up to get there, muhaahah!! :drunk:

I should take you to my dad's place some time soon.. he's having his land logged so there are some better trails than when I was a kid and we had kinda smooth 4wheeler trails... lotsa state-land with trails too

That's great. :banana::banana::banana: And you did it without even having low range... I bet you used the new locking center diff though, right?

Funny about the jeep not making it up there though. I drove up the same steep snow covered road twice last weekend -- saturday I went up in my 4wd pickup with lots of weight in the back and good mud and snow tires. No real question about whether I'd make it, but it was a little squirrely at times and spun some. sunday I went up again in my friend's '87 GL with 80% worn out snow tires. Went up easier than the truck did.

We dragged 7-8 LARGE trees out of the woods with my roo'. While the jeep sat at the bottom of the hill :drunk: It was some pretty nasty snow, not that much, but it was crusty, with alot of powder underneith.

We're building a heavy weight sled for our winterfest thing this year :grin:

I only got stuck once, just lost all traction trying to pull out a good 40fter... about 8" diameter the whole way... it was rough!

go go gadget subaru! :banana:

d'ju kick it into 4-wheel?

:grin::grin:

It didn't come out of 4wd all day :grin:

didn't even both turning the awd back on when i turned off the car.. just a little blinking light, no big deal.

I'm gonna have to head back up there next weekend to move the logs around some more, yay for suba-power!