Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Failing Starter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo747

jimbo747

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Chandler, AZ

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:11 PM

Need some quick help. Wife's '87 GL Wagon, 1.8 SPFI, AT. She just called me at work. Had trouble starting it this afternoon. She said that it just quit, then wouldn't restart. She had to turn the key 2-3 times before it would crank (but the tach needle would jump when she was turning the key). No "click - click - click" sound. After a few turns of the key, it did crank, then start. Said she stopped a few minutes later, and when she went to restart it, the same thing happened again, except she had to turn the key 6 times to get it to crank.

My gut instinct is failing starter. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

#2 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:30 PM

Jimbo this is a fairly common problem
After checking ALL battery cable connections and their terminals.
Usually it's the contacts in the ignition switch not passing enough current to close the starter solenoid.
You can check this by putting a test light on the small spade terminal on top of the starter - turn key to start if light lights dimly - thats the problem

I could be a problem in the neutral start circuit but it's rare. The test light will not light at all if this is the case.

Two simple fixes involve a relay controlled by the ignition switch or the "never fail" button - I have used both
Posted Image

#3 jimbo747

jimbo747

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Chandler, AZ

Posted 12 October 2003 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for your help, Skip.

Called the wife back and told her to pop the hood and check for corrosion. Sure enough, the positive post and clamp was gunked up (surprising, since I cleaned it about 3 months ago). Anyway, I talked her through the process of removing the cables and cleaning the posts and clamps. That apparently did the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users