Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did you check the strut? Also check the bushing at the rear of the front control arms they are the one that have the two big bolts in them. I just had one go out and I am getting noise on the slow sharp turns. When they go bad you will see grease coming out of them. they are easy to change and it cost me 75.00 dollars for the bushing. I thought the noise was coming from right front, but it turned out to be the the left front. So your noise may be coming from there also.

97 Outback rear end noise during low speed sharp turns in forward & reverse. I replaced the rear rotors & brakes but the sound is still there.

Thanks for the replys...

The noise is definitely coming from the rear end. A sharp low speed turn as in parallel parking will cause a groaning grabbing low frequency noise almost like a brake grabbing. That's why I totally replaced the brakes in the rear. The brakes were replaced but it did not help. It's still there.

Ed

Will it make this noise if you are not on the brake? If it only does it when you are on the brake then your rear shoes or pads may be contaminated with grease or oil.

Thanks for the replys...

The noise is definitely coming from the rear end. A sharp low speed turn as in parallel parking will cause a groaning grabbing low frequency noise almost like a brake grabbing. That's why I totally replaced the brakes in the rear. The brakes were replaced but it did not help. It's still there.

Ed

• 6 months later...

i can't believe noone has called out WHEEL BEARING yet..... I'm going to say that's what it is... jack up the car (all 4 wheels off the ground, if you can), then put it in drive (maybe have someone to regulate the brakes, etc..) now put your hand on the spring/strut assy, if you feel the vibration, that's most likely a bearing. Also, with it up (wheels not moving) check to see if it wobbles any direction, grab the front & back of it, and try to torque it, do the same with the top & bottom.. if you get alot of play, your bearing most likely isn't happy. You can also rotate the wheel by hand and feel around where the axle goes into the hub.

My imp did this... ohh... 3-4 times, so i'm pretty good at calling it out when it happens :rolleyes: