Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Forester Engine ?

Lispisgone

Good morning everyone... just a quick question. I've heard that the engine they put in the 04 Forester XT (the 2.5 DOHC turbo) is the same motor they put in the 04 STI, minus different intake, exhaust, ignition, and intercooler/turbo.... but the internals are the same. Is this true? There is nothing I'd love more than to throw in some new headers, cams and pulleys into my baby, but NO ONE makes parts for my car.. not even in Japan. There are several upgrades available for the STI motor though...

Thanks!!

Good morning everyone... just a quick question. I've heard that the engine they put in the 04 Forester XT (the 2.5 DOHC turbo) is the same motor they put in the 04 STI, minus different intake, exhaust, ignition, and intercooler/turbo.... but the internals are the same. Is this true? There is nothing I'd love more than to throw in some new headers, cams and pulleys into my baby, but NO ONE makes parts for my car.. not even in Japan. There are several upgrades available for the STI motor though...

Thanks!!

Dont take my word for it but I too have also heard that the forester and such with the new 2.5 turbos are just dumbed down STI motors. That being said i still think theyd need to be built up a bit but i would think that some STI stuff should be able to fit on. Should be interesting, either way.

Dont take my word for it but I too have also heard that the forester and such with the new 2.5 turbos are just dumbed down STI motors. That being said i still think theyd need to be built up a bit but i would think that some STI stuff should be able to fit on. Should be interesting, either way.

Most re-assuring eddygordouk... I appreciate the input. I'll defiantly let everyone know how things turn out :cool:

The engine is "close", but it's not identical. The STi block is semi-closed. I don't know if the Forester block is.

However, a lot of the stuff that will fit the WRX or STi should work on your car. I've got a buddy down here in Houston that has a forester XT, and he's got an STi exhaust on it, and some other goodies. It's pretty quick.

Its the same shortblock. The heads are the same too, but apparently the STI has slightly better cams.

The turbo, exhaust piping, intercooler and tuning are the main differences. If you run a STI VF39 (turbo) with the STI uppipe, STI exhaust, and intercooler with an ECU reflash (all of which can be done for <$1000) you will basically have an STI motor.

If you run a STI VF39 (turbo) with the STI uppipe, STI exhaust, and intercooler with an ECU reflash (all of which can be done for <$1000) you will basically have an STI motor.

$1000 for all that is a bit on the low side.

if youre lucky you can get all those parts on a REAL good deal. a REALLY good deal. i paid $300 for my vf39 alone. i dont think an sti IC is a direct fit for the forester, but theyre usually $300-400. then you have the dyno tuning, which is $150-200 an hour, depending on the shop. plus you still have an UP and TBE to go get.

$1000 for all that is a bit on the low side.

if youre lucky you can get all those parts on a REAL good deal. a REALLY good deal. i paid $300 for my vf39 alone. i dont think an sti IC is a direct fit for the forester, but theyre usually $300-400. then you have the dyno tuning, which is $150-200 an hour, depending on the shop. plus you still have an UP and TBE to go get.

You paid too much. Going rate on NASIOC private classifieds is ~$150 for a VF39 and $200 or less for an STI intercooler. I see them all the time at those prices, locally too (so no shipping costs). A simple reflash like that is what, $500-650 I think, and I could source the required piping for free from shops that have it sitting around.

You paid too much. Going rate on NASIOC private classifieds is ~$150 for a VF39 and $200 or less for an STI intercooler. I see them all the time at those prices, locally too (so no shipping costs). A simple reflash like that is what, $500-650 I think, and I could source the required piping for free from shops that have it sitting around.

just did a search on naisoc classifieds, lowest price i found for a vf39 was $200. mine was in mint condition when i bought it.