Ultimate Subaru Message Board

could the carb cause this? (probably)

This is sort of an extension of the emissions problems that I posted about a while ago.

I have three things going on with my car right now, and I am planning on swapping the carb with a newer one to try to solve it, but I would like to hear of any other possible culprits. The issues are, in order of appearance:

1.)My fuel economy has been not great for a year, and has recently gotten really sucky (200 miles per tank, albeit all city driving, but still...)

2.)Since August, the performance at high speed has been extremely disheartening. She refuses to go past 76mph under any normal conditions (which is probably about 80 considering the tire size that I'm running right now), and near full-throttle must be used to maintain 65-70. Just a few months ago, she would cruise at 75-80 with between half and two-thirds throttle.

3.) I have run several I.M. tests on the machine that we have at the university, and I cannot get the CO level at 2000 rpm to get below 3%, and the limit is 1%. At idle, the level is around .3%, and the HC levels are quite reasonable. This is baffling me.

Any ideas would be great. The performance is the thing that really weirds me out because this is the same kind of performance that I was getting when I first got the car before doing any modifications.

Well, I swapped out the carbs while putting a new accelerator pump and top gasket in the one I installed. The performance and fuel economy are greatly improved. The top-end performance still sucks, but I attribute that to my Unifilter and custom intake being off right now. I haven't had a chance to do another I.M. yet.

The carb I put on is a JDM unit, and they are WAY different. Most importantly is that it just doesn't have two of the vacuum/vent line connections. This could be a problem when I do the I.M., but I'll just connect the two hoses together and hide them under the air cleaner so it looks like they go somewhere. Also, the secondary vacuum diaphragm doesn't bolt on correctly. I had to use a file and bailing wire to hook it up in the right position.

Any ideas on other stuff that could cause top-end lack of power, other than having a Hitachi carb?