Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 into ea81 chassis?

Meeky Moose

When I got my '82 BRAT, it had the EA-82 engine in it with the EA-81 4 speed.

Swapper used the EA-81 flywheel and clutch set-up, but didn't transfer the timing marks from the EA-82 flywheel. So no T-belt marks, and the ignition timing marks are off. Be nice to yourself, and transfer the marks.

You need to move the HH towards the firewall, the distance between its mounting holes, to help clear the disty. Best to pull disty from motor while installing it, then re-install the disty. Pulling it helps get engine past the MC.

Loosen the bolts on the brackets that holds the motor mounts to the engine, so you have about a 1/4" + of free-play on the bracket. This will allow the studs to go thru the crossmember easier. Once the studs are thru the slots, tighten the bracket bolts 1st, then put the washers and nuts on the studs. Tighten the nuts after insuring the engine is centered between frame rails.

The EA-82 Y-pipe was used on mine, the EA-81's may/may not fit. There's a 1" difference in the pipe length from curve to flange between them.

The coil to disty wires were lengthened, as was the lower section of the oil pressure wire. Temp wire will fit with no mods done. I did change the sender to the EA-81 style.

The EA-82 radiator was fit into mine, but I'm thinking the EA-81s will work. Do know from doing EA81-82 intake swaps that an EA-82 lower radiator hose works for the upper T-stat to radiator hose with some trimming when using the EA-82 intake on an EA-81 engine. If the EA-82 has the waterpump mounted fan, you may want to leave it off. You'll only have about 3/8" of clearence to the radiator with it on.

Pics of the engine can be found in the link in the 82 BRAT album. Pics of the EA-82 manifold on the EA-81 engine, showing the lower-as-uppper radiator hose, can be seen in the 84 BRAT, and the White 86 BRAT albums.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/

If you have any more question, feel free to ask, either here or thru PM.